1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front end wobble at 60mph+

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Anterman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front end wobble at 60mph+

Ok, I have a 2000 Dodge Durango RWD SLT 5.9. I have had this front end wobble for a while now. The truck has 155,000 mile on it. I have replaced several front end parts trying to fix this issue. I have replaced all 4 ball joints, lower control arms, all new bushings, steering rack with new tie rods, sway bar bushings, new springs, new shocks (cheap 25$ Monroe shocks, could be the problem), new tires, wheels balanced, front end alignment and I still get this shaking on the freeway at over 60mph. Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss right now. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM
dxloat
Veteran

Kind of a long shot but I actually had a similar problem once and it turned out to be a defective tire that had a broken belt internally. The tire had been balanced multiple times with no result and finally replaced under warranty after they determined the defect.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anterman
Ok, I have a 2000 Dodge Durango RWD SLT 5.9. I have had this front end wobble for a while now. The truck has 155,000 mile on it. I have replaced several front end parts trying to fix this issue. I have replaced all 4 ball joints, lower control arms, all new bushings, steering rack with new tie rods, sway bar bushings, new springs, new shocks (cheap 25$ Monroe shocks, could be the problem), new tires, wheels balanced, front end alignment and I still get this shaking on the freeway at over 60mph. Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss right now. Thanks!
Did you by chance check the wheel bearings for play? A wheel wobble usually lies in a bad tire, wheel bearing, or most steering components (tie rods, rack and pinion). Only under severe cases do balljoints, or a steering shaft will cause a wheel wobble. Usually those cause front end wandering, not a wobble.

I'm gunna lean towards a bad wheel bearing up front as you say it's only from 60mph or faster. Only two options with that info, a bad wheel bearing, or an unbalanced tire

Lift the front of the truck and with the tires on, check for play in every area. Ball joint, tie rods, and wheel bearings. Also spin the tires by hand to see if you feel any restriction, or rough movement. The bearing should be smooth and tight, no motion from side to side or up and down

Last edited by RockGuardedDak; 11-05-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A tire/wheel issue is not a long shot. Swap the tires front to back and see if the problem changes.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Anterman

Thanks guys. I sure appreciate the help. I will check these things today and let you know.

Quick Reply: Front end wobble at 60mph+