1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Recommendations for shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 03:58 PM
jqthomas
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for shocks?

Howdy folks. Thinking my shocks are due for a replacement set soon. Getting a "crunch" from the front when I go over speed bumps and over curbs.

I am a converted Jeep man, and always used Ranchos on my old Wrangler... does anybody have any thoughts or opinions on which shocks work best on a 1st Gen Durango 4X4?

Old 11-16-2013, 04:53 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed the bilsteins hd there awesome exspesive , I dicided to go big since the one on there were stock nd junk and ill prob run it into the ground

Old 11-19-2013, 01:45 PM
MN_DeeDee
Amateur
Default +1 Bilsteins

I put in the Bilsteins as well about 4 weeks ago. Here is the thread I started at that time:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ew-shocks.html

I don't remember how good the Ranchos were when I last changed shocks and I have not used Monroes to give you a personal comparison. But I would certainly give two thumbs up for the Bilsteins.

However, be aware that you are paying a premium price for the Bilsteins which buys you a life time warranty. The Monroes would have saved me over $100 especially with the 4-for-3 Shocktober deal last month.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:31 PM
M Shark
Professional

I've put on Billsteins as well and since 2007 they still hold up. How many miles do you have on your durango? Have the sway bar bushings, upper and lower control arm bushings, and ball joints been replaced recently?

I've had the crunching sound before even when my shocks were still 2 years old. Once I changed all of the above out, the truck handled like new and gone were the front end noise. And my truck currently has 165K miles.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Monroe Reflex on my truck now, so far i have no complaints.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for shocks?