1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango stock stereo stats

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep your old Infinitys. Most likely the surrounds are trashed but YOU can repair them quite easily. Just a little time consuming. Check out wooferrepair.com

Old 12-18-2013, 12:59 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Well I don't know about you guys but I completely did away with the factory system in mine. I have a 5ch amp power all the speakers with new wiring from the amp to speakers with a 10in sub. The deck I have is all rca out so the amp is not run using the factory speaker inputs. In fact the only thing that is factory is the power to the radio and the antenna lol. All my speakers are a high/mid line polk and I love them. Point is you can do a much better system than factory BUT it takes a lot of time, patience, and depending on what system money.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:17 PM
budah93
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do away with the infinity completely! take out the crappy stock amp as well. Take some time to save up money and get yourself a decent 4 channel amp, then either buy 2 sets of components or 1 set of components and a set of coaxials and then either install them yourself or have a professional do it. I have alpine type r components in both doors and a rockford p400-4 amp powering them and it sounds way better than stock and compliments my sub build nicely. Just do the research and make sure all your ohms add up right.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:58 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think my Infinity system sounds better than it did 12 years ago when I got the D new, or maybe my hearing is crap compared to 10 years ago (more likely, I'm 67). I did swap out the head unit a couple times over the years to get modern tech, BT phone, BT audio, USB input, etc.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:19 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I think my Infinity system sounds better than it did 12 years ago when I got the D new, or maybe my hearing is crap compared to 10 years ago (more likely, I'm 67). I did swap out the head unit a couple times over the years to get modern tech, BT phone, BT audio, USB input, etc.
Well, an aftermarket stereo with better sound processing will give you overall better audio quality in terms of how the sound is being pushed out. Could/should be the reason for better sound quality.

I’m currently in the process of reviewing which Kenwood indash navigation/rearview camera double din setup to get for my Fusion (only kenwood to retain the steering wheel, sat radio & sync controls).

I’m intrigued to see how much better the overall system sounds with a better audio source.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:47 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

That's it right there. I don't know if everyone realizes what point those last two posts drove through. A speaker is only as good as its input. You could spend $3000 on speakers but with a $50 head unit they'll still sound like crap, albeit a little better than the crappy speakers but not what their potential is. Hence the terminology sound system.

Last edited by adukart; 12-18-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 PM
budah93
Rookie

I was under the impression that anyone doing a speaker build knows you need to get a new head unit...sorry if that was unclear

Old 12-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"You could spend $3000 on speakers ..............."

Agree with ya 200%!

But I think I'd rather the 3K go toward my new Dodge!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Decepticon-Rango
Amateur

I always change the stock system out in any car I get that's automatic for me. My D is running at the moment 1- JL Audio 15WOV2 sub in a non ported box, 400w Jensen amp, 4 JBL 3-way GTO Loudspeakers, and a JVC headunit which Im switching out soon to a 7" flip out. so far ive gone threw 3 different set of speakers before I found these cause it just seemed like nothing realy fills the truck up realy with that much noise. I think its poor speaker placement to be honest with you and the size of the truck doesn't help either. Ive been doing stereos for yrs in cars and I must say the D is prolly the hardest yet easiest thing to work on. Its easy cause no problem finding ground everything goes in and hooks up fast and theres enough space in the side rails to run and hide your wires and the firewall is easy to get to for your power wire. the con is trying to fill the cab up with enough sound with out sounding like sh!!t. these speakers I got now deff do a good job but if some one has there leg infront of the speaker on the passenger side you can deff tell cause its gets mono toned. I know cause my gfs puts her dam purse there evry time and I gota yell at her to move it. drives me crazy. IF they raised the speaker hole up just a lil more off the ground or angled it better I don't think it would be as much of a problem as it is just my thought.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the infinity system. The factory head unit sound good enough for me. But I think the little amp on the kickpanel may be getting weak as far as the rear speakers go. I found a 4 channel amp by Blaupunkt that will perfectly fit in original space as the oem amp. The blaupunkt puts out alot of very clean power and does not get hot as it is a Class D amp. Very efficient and does not pull alot of juice.

Now I need to find a oem plug that I can use to connect the blaupunkt to the factory speaker wiring harness so I can back out and easily revert back to stock if I ever plan on trading/selling my truck.

Quick Reply: Durango stock stereo stats