1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango PCM problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd be surprised if it was the overhead console causing anything, but if you wanted to check for yourself you could pull the connector for it under the dash.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:07 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by winkie74
Ok, thanks. I will be thuroughly looking them over. The tech at the stealership, having done no diagnosis whatsoever, is convinced my overhead console is causing my problem. I think thats bs and they just want to throw parts at it, my overhead console is about the only thing working, apart from things like my stereo, door locks, lights, etc. Got my vehicle out of that shop this morning, it wouldn't start outside(-20 degrees) and would only start in the warm shop so they kept it inside over night so we could drive it home. It got back and after idling in the driveway for 5 minutes it died.
Anything on the BUS can take the BUS down, but isolating a module (which the overhead is) will rule it out. Replacement is not necessary.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-12-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:49 PM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been able to do any diagnosis yet because I'm still at school until tuesday and my D is back home. I did have my dad unplug the tps and map so those have been ruled out. When it was at the stealership it would only start in the warm shop but now that it's back in our shop it won't. I guess that makes daignosis easier, I won't be doing it in the cold. But I found something interesting yesterday on Alldata. About a month ago I got an evap code P0443 and couldn't for the life of me figure out why because I have voltage to my purge solenoid and no more than .3 ohms resistance in the circuit, and my battery died two nights in a row. Then I found TSB 08-07-00, which states that when the heater/ac switch is in the off position(which mine was when I died) there is a backfeed of voltage through the blower motor relay into the pcm while the engine is off. Now my question is could this backfeed of voltage cause damage to the pcm? I think it's suspicious because two weeks after that my pcm goes out.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:07 AM
winkie74
Professional

Well I did some testing on the D yesterday and I unplugged the crankshaft position sensor and I didn't get the no bus and my gauges worked and u plugged the sensor back in and had the no bus again so I installed a new crank sensor, which was a b***h. Drove it into town and everything was fine until I tried to restart it. It wouldn't start, so I towed it back home and tested for 5v reference before I went to bed. I had 5v on both the 5v wire and ground wire at both TPS and MAP sensors. Internal short in the PCM?

Old 12-19-2013, 10:56 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Aftermarket cam and crank sensors have been a huge problem as of the last couple years. Since the cam and crank both use the same 5V reference, it could be either one doing it. It will react like a series circuit if one of them is shorting the 5V.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 PM
winkie74
Professional

My mistake, it was .5 v and it was the signal wire. I got the wires mixed up, it was just normal signal voltage. I followed a no-start service procedure from alldata this morning and confirmed the pcm is bad.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:55 PM
shootist2004

I thought I had bad luck........
tow it to the woods, set it on fire and call the insurance company...........

Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

^^ useless post alert!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:45 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by shootist2004
I thought I had bad luck........
tow it to the woods, set it on fire and call the insurance company...........

I don't think the payoff would be worth it on a '99. It would be more of a angst bonfire.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:45 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car-parts.com is a great place.

And durangos aren't worth much.. But they are worth not setting fire!

Quick Reply: 99 Durango PCM problems