1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango PCM problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 PM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Durango PCM problems

I have a 99 Durango 5.2 and the 8th pcm was installed this morning by my local dealership, unfortunately the dealership is full of circus monkeys. My first pcm went a few years ago, it was the original pcm, and I got a pcm from auto computer exchange in florida, I heard all the bad things about them after I bought the pcm, first pcm came, car started, no gauges. They sent another one it only lasted a week. And over the course of a couple years of this they would'nt honor their warranty so I opted for a new pcm from the dealership, turns out they told me it was new but it's a reman, in February, which was a terrible ordeal and they did nothing right didn;t bother to put any screws back in and broke multiple different things and I don't want to talk about it, that one went a couple weeks ago just before thanksgiving, it went back to the dealer because it was under warranty, after waiting way too long, 9 days, the new one came. They put it in and it started, it was a stalling problem this time not the flat out no start problem like sometimes before. they brought it outside and when we went to pick it up surprise surprise it didn't start. no fuel pump, no gauges, no bus on the dash, no 5v ref from pcm...again. I am a second year Automotive Technology student so I know exactly whats going on but those idiots don't know what they're doing. This is the only time I haven't done something myself. I didn't want a reman from some sketchy online company and I thought the dealership could do it right. Not sure if it's the fact that the replacement pcm's are remans and basically used or if I have an electrical fault somewhere. Mopar Performance PCM maybe? I've thought about it before but now I'm very interested, but I would need a part number since I guess these things are rare.

EDIT: P5007128, on Summit this was listed for a 98 5.9 Durango 4x4 but will it work on my 99 5.2 4x4?

Last edited by winkie74; 12-10-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winkie74
I have a 99 Durango 5.2 and the 8th pcm was installed this morning by my local dealership, unfortunately the dealership is full of circus monkeys. My first pcm went a few years ago, it was the original pcm, and I got a pcm from auto computer exchange in florida, I heard all the bad things about them after I bought the pcm, first pcm came, car started, no gauges. They sent another one it only lasted a week. And over the course of a couple years of this they would'nt honor their warranty so I opted for a new pcm from the dealership, turns out they told me it was new but it's a reman, in February, which was a terrible ordeal and they did nothing right didn;t bother to put any screws back in and broke multiple different things and I don't want to talk about it, that one went a couple weeks ago just before thanksgiving, it went back to the dealer because it was under warranty, after waiting way too long, 9 days, the new one came. They put it in and it started, it was a stalling problem this time not the flat out no start problem like sometimes before. they brought it outside and when we went to pick it up surprise surprise it didn't start. no fuel pump, no gauges, no bus on the dash, no 5v ref from pcm...again. I am a second year Automotive Technology student so I know exactly whats going on but those idiots don't know what they're doing. This is the only time I haven't done something myself. I didn't want a reman from some sketchy online company and I thought the dealership could do it right. Not sure if it's the fact that the replacement pcm's are remans and basically used or if I have an electrical fault somewhere. Mopar Performance PCM maybe? I've thought about it before but now I'm very interested, but I would need a part number since I guess these things are rare.

EDIT: P5007128, on Summit this was listed for a 98 5.9 Durango 4x4 but will it work on my 99 5.2 4x4?

From what i have been told from many, many techs one programmed for a 5.9 will not work with a 5.2.. I have always had good luck (no issues) with All Computer Resources when i or a family member/friend had to deal with PCM replacement. With the # of PCM's you been though i would say either someones not programing or installing properly or you have a serious electrical issue thats chewing them up... perhaps you could try another dealer in the area? I know here the local dealer 5 miles away i would not trust to work on my weed eater but, the dealer 15 miles away has given me excellent service...

Old 12-10-2013, 04:21 PM
winkie74
Professional

well 6 of the replacements were from an online company that i now know can't be trusted. 3 of those 6 didn't work when i got them, 1 worked only a week, and i burned out the coil driver circuit because I have an msd blaster ss coil which has half the resistance in the primary winding of the stock so it was pushing double the amperage. So I really have only had the stock one, and two replacements go bad. The shop says they want $400 for diagnosis of an electrical fault, when they should have found the first time it was in, I guess warranty doesn't mean anything. Next closest dealer is an hour away. The problem I had before I brought it in a couple weeks ago was it started fine but if it was stationary for 10-20 minutes it would die and only restart if it had fully cooled down. Now it only starts in the warm shop but won't start outside(it's -15 out). The tech said i wire might have gotten brittle. so I must have a magic wire somewhere that can break and solder itself back together at room temp. But they replaced the pcm and my problem has changed, which leads me to believe this pcm has a problem. I told them to shove it and will be getting my old pcm back.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM
dxloat
Veteran

Does your D turn over just not start? Like you described, mine had to completely cool down after hot and just seemed over sensitive to temps. Turned out to be the crank position sensor. I can only assume the expansion and contraction associated with the temp changes caused a broken wire to make intermittent contact.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:07 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I am a second year Automotive Technology student so I know exactly what's going on

What auto tech school lasts 2 years?

10-20 minutes it would die and only restart if it had fully cooled down.

I have a 99 Durango 5.2 and the 8th pcm was installed this morning by my no fuel pump, no gauges, no bus on the dash, no 5v ref from pcm...again.

Something on the 5V reference circuit is shorting, internally probably. When this happens usually there will be no trace of anything because the PCM memory gets wiped out. My first guess is crank sensor. Unplug all the 5V sensors one at a time, cycle the switch and when the NO BUS goes away, you probably found your culprit.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-10-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:12 PM
winkie74
Professional

Cranks but does not start. I'm leaning toward the crank sensor now too, will be the first thing I try. North Dakota State College of Science.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:41 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

. North Dakota State College of Science.
Nice. I went to NADC in early 90s, goes by Lincoln now.

Yep, the classic (not aways) NO BUS, no communication is a crank sensor putting the PCM to sleep. The connectors on those JTech PCMs were also troublesome. Try a little wiggle test for chits and giggles anyway.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:16 PM
winkie74
Professional

I heard Lincoln is a good school for auto. Yah, I'll back it outside and let it run until it dies and i get no bus then start by wiggling the pcm connectors and unplug the crank sensor, cam sensor, tps, map in that order and see if any will bring communication back. I'll check all my grounds too, probably clean and inspect all terminals in the pcm connectors and ohm them out. While looking through alldata last night I was looking at the connector views of the C1 C2 C3 PCm connectors and C1 pin 17 if the 5v supply and I also noticed that C2 pin31 was 5v supply(secondary). Thats not a backup is it? if something were to go wrong with the main 5v supply?

Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

C2 pin 31 is the 5V used for cam and crank. I think those are the only 2. The other (orange) goes to MAP, TPS. Check your wiring diagrams for specifics.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:53 AM
winkie74
Professional

Ok, thanks. I will be thuroughly looking them over. The tech at the stealership, having done no diagnosis whatsoever, is convinced my overhead console is causing my problem. I think thats bs and they just want to throw parts at it, my overhead console is about the only thing working, apart from things like my stereo, door locks, lights, etc. Got my vehicle out of that shop this morning, it wouldn't start outside(-20 degrees) and would only start in the warm shop so they kept it inside over night so we could drive it home. It got back and after idling in the driveway for 5 minutes it died.

Last edited by winkie74; 12-12-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: 99 Durango PCM problems