1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 02:08 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Basically the same just an electric motor to shift it. I love having my 242, on the floor shifting with full time operation if needed. That full time is handy in the winter when you're driving around town with patchy ice/snow and dry pavement.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cmikolajczyk
How do the electric switch 4x4's work in the new gen 1 Durango's work? Is it the same set up, by actuated via electric switch? Just trying to learn, and maybe somebody else may need the info. I've never really messed with a 4x4 with the electric switch.
Yeah, like the others said their pretty much the same internally, just shifted with an electronic motor. I do think they did away with the 2wd mode of the nv242 though and started calling it the nv241 (double check on those numbers someone)

Originally Posted by adukart
Basically the same just an electric motor to shift it. I love having my 242, on the floor shifting with full time operation if needed. That full time is handy in the winter when you're driving around town with patchy ice/snow and dry pavement.

Yup, that's why I'm looking to pick up an nv242 to replace my nv231 somewhere along the line.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nv242 is one easy mod. Literally just a bolt on application.

I get 12 city and 21 highway so it's not too shabby.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:40 PM
cmikolajczyk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PublicHair
The nv242 is one easy mod. Literally just a bolt on application. I get 12 city and 21 highway so it's not too shabby.
What motor do you have?
And what's your average mpg?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

What motor do you have?
His sig says a 4.7l with the Jeep TCM mod, so he has a 5spd auto. That explains the hwy mileage.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:58 PM
PublicHair
Banned

What motor do you have?
I don't know what my "average" mpg is. I put 2k miles on my truck this year and that's it..

It's mostly used for road trips in the winter. The fusion mostly used for grocery store or road trips in the summer. Every now and then I'll drive it to the office to get the juices flowing and it's only 4 miles so a tank gets me pretty far to where I don't really count anymore.

But yes, as stated - I have a 4.7 and use the Jeep TCM mod.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Bobman
Veteran

What is the Jeep TCM mod? I have an almost identical packaged '03 (including the color!) and get 16mpg as long as I stay out of 4WD. Anything that could be done to boost mileage would be beneficial, just no snake oils, TB spacers, or "magic Ebay chips" please.

Bob

Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM
PublicHair
Banned

you already have the jeep mod from the factory installed on your truck.

Reality is.. not much you can do for mpg gains. If you want gains, buy a new car.

For example, I was going to pay $400 a month in fuel to drive to/from work when I moved to Cali. So I figured, buy a car for $16k and pay $250 a month + $150 in fuel and I'm still paying $400 but at least getting something for it (My insurance is cheaper in my case).

..but shot myself in the foot with that because I found a home 4 miles from work and shortly after was issued a take home vehicle so now both vehicles just sit. But at least I have a nice car for summer trips...

Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by PublicHair
........shortly after was issued a take home vehicle so now both vehicles just sit. But at least I have a nice car for summer trips...
I wish my work let me take a vehicle home lol. That would be nice to keep miles off of my own vehicles.

Durangos came with the 5spd tcm programming for the 45rfe, now a 5 spd version called the 545rfe, in late 2002 through 2003.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:00 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a Jeep off-road guy, and I read this thread and have yet to see a clear answer between AWD and 4WD, and thatguy mentioned 'locked diff' to add more to the confusion. I don't mean this to come across as know-it-all, but I do know the following to be true.

The difference between AWD (also called full time 4wd) and 4HI (also called part-timer 4wd) is that in AWD the transfer case allows the front and rear drive shafts rotate at different speeds (similar to an open rear axle allowing the right and left to rotate differently, like when making a turn). The function called '4hi' (called that on my R/T) or 'part time 4wd' is where the t-case locks the two drive shafts to turn at the exact same speed, always.

The reason part-time is bad is that other than going dead straight, the average rotation of the front two wheels is different than the average rotation of the rear two wheels (they leave different tracks in the dirt, rear tires travel a tighter circle than the front). If the t-case is in part time mode (locked), at least one tire of the four has to slip a bit as you turn or it will bind up the whole drive train and break something. This slipping is not a problem on dirt/mud/snow, but it's a big deal bad if used on pavement. Thats why it is referred to as part time, you can't leave it on all the time.

Don't believe the binding thing? Do a test. Park on a paved gentle slope, say front pointing downhill. Now turn the wheels hard in one direction. Turn the motor off, and leave the trans in neutral. Now let up on the brake. The D will roll forward a bit, then bind up and not go further. Try it in AWD and it will roll all day.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 12-17-2013 at 02:07 PM.