1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I'm a Jeep off-road guy, and I read this thread and have yet to see a clear answer between AWD and 4WD, and thatguy mentioned 'locked diff' to add more to the confusion. I don't mean this to come across as know-it-all, but I do know the following to be true.
I don't see how that adds to the confusion. Part time 4wd = transfer case acts as locked diff.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You're assuming people know what a'locked diff' is. It's confusing to say A is like B when people don't know the alphabet.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 12-17-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

You're assuming people know what a'locked diff' is. It's confusing to say A is like B when people don't know the alphabet.
We are assuming people who come on here have a basic understanding of basic things on their rigs or have the ability to use the forum search function just like you should know the alphabet when you pick up a book. If information is unclear to someone they can ask. This difference in transfer cases has been spelled out in detail on many different threads already, that's all. Not trying to sound rude or anything its just what we kind of expect.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:41 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
We are assuming people who come on here have a basic understanding of basic things on their rigs
I don't see that here. It seems well more than half the posters here haven't done any real wrenching at all. There are a huge number of threads here where the person asks for info on a problem, decides the fix or diagnostics suggested are over his head, and goes to a shop. I'm just not used to that in other forums I frequent.

The dozen or so regulars here in Gen1D, such as you, public, thatguy, oldschool, are not in that group of course, are the teachers. The huge mass of lurkers and infrequent posters ask most of the questions and, more often than not, seem to not know what to do with the answers.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 12-17-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:44 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

true, we must attack incompetence with a hammer

Old 12-18-2013, 12:14 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
That made my day.

Sorry I've had a crappy day and it keeps getting worse. I shouldn't be taking it out on you guys, you guys rock. I realize we get a lot of people who google a problem and then start a new thread instead of reading the ones that pop up in the search. You're right we are the teachers and I'm appreciative, just like the OP of this thread sounded, about the willingness of everyone here to jump in and help regardless of how many times you repeat yourself.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:24 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by that_guy

HIDP is much more fun than this site tho.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 PM
cmikolajczyk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see that here. It seems well more than half the posters here haven't done any real wrenching at all. There are a huge number of threads here where the person asks for info on a problem, decides the fix or diagnostics suggested are over his head, and goes to a shop. I'm just not used to that in other forums I frequent. The dozen or so regulars here in Gen1D, such as you, public, thatguy, oldschool, are not in that group of course, are the teachers. The huge mass of lurkers and infrequent posters ask most of the questions and, more often than not, seem to not know what to do with the answers.
I come here to learn too, I'm a fairly new durango owner. I'm knowledgable about a ram, since I've been a 94-02 owner for many years now, and have worked on them front to back. But when I started on this forum some many months ago, I didn't have a clue about anything on a durango, I did most of my research here. Since then I've learned a lot, and done a lot.