1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not sure exactly about the power split, but yeah "4wd" (not 4wd lock) is the position you want to use on the road.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:33 PM
cmikolajczyk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep reading all sorts of different things on here that don't make sense to me. I'm not too familiar with dodge 4wd systems as I am with Chevy, so I'm a bit new to this. My 98' durango 5.9L V8 4x4 SLT+ has this on the floor board

2 H
4 PT
4 FT
N
4L

Any insight on the specifics on how each setting works and engages? I won't post my assumptions, I want to hear what ya'll have to say.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 PM
that_guy
Champion

2h = 2wd
4 pt = 4wd high range part time (locked diff) use offroad only
4 ft = 4wd full time/awd safe to use on the road
n = neutral
4l = 4wd low range locked diff

With your transfer case you have to be careful when going back to 2wd from 4wd, sometime it can be partially stuck in 4wd and cause issues. You can put the transfer case into 2wd then back up weaving back and forth to get it back to 2wd, or put the transmission in neutral, then the transfer case in neutral, then shift the transfer case back into 2wd, then the transmission back into drive.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 PM
cmikolajczyk
Professional

Originally Posted by that_guy
2h = 2wd 4 pt = 4wd high range part time (locked diff) use offroad only 4 ft = 4wd full time/awd safe to use on the road n = neutral 4l = 4wd low range locked diff With your transfer case you have to be careful when going back to 2wd from 4wd, sometime it can be partially stuck in 4wd and cause issues. You can put the transfer case into 2wd then back up weaving back and forth to get it back to 2wd, or put the transmission in neutral, then the transfer case in neutral, then shift the transfer case back into 2wd, then the transmission back into drive.
I understood that, lol. It even says something like that on the visor, but I wanted to know how drive train actually worked in each setting, so top to bottom in my case:

2wd - self explanatory

4wd HI PT = how is the drive train engaging? Does it mean that both ground and rear axles are locked in drive at the same ratio without limited slip? I'm under the assumption that it a locked in 4wd and the only limited slip is between the two tires on either axle.

4wd HI FT= AWD? Limited slip between front and rear, as well as each tire on the same axle? So road safe to use, because each and every tire has a limited slip range to keep the tires from traveling at different rates? Please confirm.

N - absolute neutral, disconnects transmission from drive train. Not literally, but you get my point.

4 LO PT = low gear obviously, but does this mean that my front and rear axles are locked in together, or is there limited slip between them, or is there an amount of slippage necessary for 4wd to engage. I and under the influence that it is locked in, with only limited slip between the two tires on the same axle. This has to be, because I've gotten my durango to teeter-totter on two wheels opposite of each other with the other tires spinning freely.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:49 PM
that_guy
Champion

4 hi pt = front and rear axles are locked together by the transfer case, no slip is allowed which is why you can't use it on solid/grippy surfaces. (that's why the wheels hop on pavement in 4wd pt) When the 4wd is engaged there is no slip required for the system to engage, all wheels are always getting power. (grand cherokees had an optional gerodisc transfer case that only engaged when there was slip, but that wasn't put into the Durangos at the factory)

4 lo pt = same as 4 hi pt, just a 2.72:1 reduction

4 hi ft = awd, the transfer case acts as an open differential, so the front and rear axles can travel at different speeds, which makes it safe to use on the road.

The front axles are all open differentials and a limited slip was optional on the rear axles. The front hubs are permanently locked in, the front driveshaft gets engaged and disengaged in the transfer case.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:51 PM
cmikolajczyk
Professional

4 hi pt = front and rear axles are locked together by the transfer case, no slip is allowed which is why you can't use it on solid/grippy surfaces. (that's why the wheels hop on pavement in 4wd pt) When the 4wd is engaged there is no slip required for the system to engage, all wheels are always getting power. (grand cherokees had an optional gerodisc transfer case that only engaged when there was slip, but that wasn't put into the Durangos at the factory) 4 lo pt = same as 4 hi pt, just a 2.72:1 reduction 4 hi ft = awd, the transfer case acts as an open differential, so the front and rear axles can travel at different speeds, which makes it safe to use on the road. The front axles are all open differentials and a limited slip was optional on the rear axles. The front hubs are permanently locked in, the front driveshaft gets engaged and disengaged in the transfer case.
Thank you for clearing that up, I'm certain others will be able to utilize this. The other transfer case settings I found for a 98 durango were the following:

1998 durango SLT 5.2L v8 4x4
2 hi
4 PT
N
4L PT

I assume it's all the same, except mine has the 4 Full time (AWD) feature, which as you said, let's the transfer case act/be a differential between the front and rear axle.

I've personally never had the AWD feature, and I'm used to the stick on the floor which I could kick the front axle into gear, but I learned something new. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 AM
that_guy
Champion

Yeah it would be the same. The nv242 is essentially just the nv231 with a differential.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:53 AM
cmikolajczyk
Professional

Yeah it would be the same. The nv242 is essentially just the nv231 with a differential.
How do the electric switch 4x4's work in the new gen 1 Durango's work? Is it the same set up, by actuated via electric switch? Just trying to learn, and maybe somebody else may need the info. I've never really messed with a 4x4 with the electric switch.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:30 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric switch controls a motor to move the mechanical lever. Otherwise you'd have the floorboard shifter and have to use your hand/force to move the mechanical lever.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:50 AM
cmikolajczyk
Professional

Originally Posted by PublicHair
Electric switch controls a motor to move the mechanical lever. Otherwise you'd have the floorboard shifter and have to use your hand/force to move the mechanical lever.
I realize the difference between the switch and lever, I was asking it the transfer case was the same, or if it had different modes and/or set-up in comparison to the 98/99 models.