1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango doing crazy stuff...help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 04:46 PM
dixiechicdana
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 99 Durango doing crazy stuff...help!

I have a 99 Durango. The first problem I noticed was my key fob quit opening all the doors. It would open Drivers only and electric start would work. After about 2 weeks, the Durango wouldn't turn over...nothing. I could jump it but if I let off gas, it died. Replaced battery and negative cable end. Started right up. Ran for a couple days until Friday. I started with electric start from key fob and when I got in, it shut off as usual but when I inserted key... nothing.... wouldn't turn over. I put it in neutral and tried to start...nothing. Put back in drive and it started but wouldn't idle. Dies if I let off accelerator. Any help would be appreciated. Ps I took alternator out and had it checked. Its good.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:07 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Check all of your battery connections for corrosion, including where the cables attach to the clamps.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:14 PM
dixiechicdana

I changed out the negative clamp but not the positive. I just went back out and opened door with key fob, started up and it started and idled. I killed it and tried to restart and it started but wouldn't idle. I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key on so I would suppose that is good. I did hear a mild whiny noise back there by fuel tank though. It may have always done that and I didn't pay attention.....

Last edited by dixiechicdana; 12-21-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added
Old 12-21-2013, 05:22 PM
that_guy
Champion

Sounds exactly like when my battery connections were corroded where the wire connects to the clamp. Take them off and clean them with a wire brush, even if they look clean. Some corrosion is clearish and glassy and is hard to see.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:44 PM
dixiechicdana

I will have to wait until tomorrow to replace the positive and clean it. Those clamps are the kind you have to cut off to replace and its getting dark out already and its cold in Minnesota plus I'm a girl Will let you know what happens after I change it. Hopefully it is the fix.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a possible bad ctm

Old 12-21-2013, 06:15 PM
that_guy
Champion

Yeah, but since it was fine right after changing the battery I'd guess that connections are the issue. Both of those things can have some of the same symptoms though. I've had the battery make the electric locks go and all kinds of things like that.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:19 PM
dixiechicdana

If it was the CTM , could a person just unplug the thing ? Would the vehicle work without it? I read somewhere that a persons lights won't usually work if CTM is bad. Mine work. Maybe it is that though because the vehicle did fine after installing the new battery until I used that dang electric start on the key fob...ugh

Old 12-21-2013, 07:24 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fyi if your ctm is bad and you do replace, you will need to re-program your key fobs to the RFID code embedded in the ctm.

If you do need to replace&reprogram then shop dealerships. Dodge dealer in TX wanted $60 per fob (need at least two fobs to program third on your own). Dealer in CO wanted $25 and would program unlimited number of fobs.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:36 PM
that_guy
Champion

Those after market remote start things can cause all kinds of problems.

Quick Reply: 99 Durango doing crazy stuff...help!