1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Polished turd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 12:55 PM
stupiid13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished turd?

Hey Yall, I need to pick a few brains. I baught a 2000 Durango slt V8 magnum 5.9 liter i had my heart set on this durango as soon as i saw it but once in my possesion i have a whole list of issues, so i named it Forest Gump. I hope to get it running like the champ i know that it is! Heres the issues i have so far please tell me your thoughts, ideas, and fixes.
1. silly string and dried soda all over body
2. Mechanic told me that the tensioner pulley needs to be replaced (have the part just need hubby to get er done
3. leaking power steering fluid close to where you put power steering fluid in at
4. the motor sounds like a vaccume

after the holidays im taking it to the professionals so they can run the diagnostics on it but i found yalls amazing forum and was curious what yall thought. PLEASE give me some insight or opinions? thank you

Old 12-22-2013, 01:14 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Tensioner pulley is pretty easy to replace. Power steering leak is hard to tell without pics, but could it just be a bit that's spilled on the top of it?

Old 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"silly string and dried soda all over body"

They still make that "silly" stuff? Sounds like the cleanup will take a while.

"tensioner pulley needs to be replaced"

Get a belt also.

"leaking power steering fluid"

Find it, repair it. That stuff gets all over everything under there. Not good with hot exhaust.

"sounds like a vaccume"

Hoover, Kirby, Electrolux?

All seriousness aside, get a manual (download link on the forum), look for missing parts, connections, etc., and get the diagnostic code read. Don't forget a good pry bar for the wallet!

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html

Last edited by Daves69; 12-22-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add link
Old 12-22-2013, 01:27 PM
former520

I am doing the same thing. I named mine 'The Onion' because every time I peel something back, I cry a little more.

I just went through and replaced my entire power steering system (pump, lines, gear) to get rid of all of my leaks. I was able to get rid of most by replacing a pump that was leaking at the pulley and shrunken o-rings where the culpret form most. In my case the gear was leaking badly (192k miles) and was easier to replace than for me to try rebuilt.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 PM
stupiid13

The tensioner pulley will be replaced tomorrow so that will be one less thing on the list but i have a sinking feeling that once that is fixed more problems will pop up. Thank yall for replying. one last question... whats the best way to clean up the motor so that it would be easier to see where the leak is coming from? the previous owner had no clue what cleaning was which is why the silly string is stuck like glue to the body.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:01 PM
that_guy
Champion

To clean the engine I'd carefully use some engine degreaser and small brushes to break up everything, then rinse it off with water. Make sure to avoid electronics and connections.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stupiid13
1. silly string and dried soda all over body
2. Mechanic told me that the tensioner pulley needs to be replaced (have the part just need hubby to get er done
3. leaking power steering fluid close to where you put power steering fluid in at
4. the motor sounds like a vaccume

Can’t help you with the exterior paint. That’s all you

Tensioner pully.. stupid easy. 15 minutes if that. Remove belt, remove three bolts, replace and put bolts/belt back on.

leaking PS fluid near PS fluid filler - Odds are it’s the PS pressure switch. Some tend to “leak” when they start to go out. This happened to me. 5 minute fix. Its a sensor, so nothing big. Has a couple wires going into it.

Motor sounds like a vacuums? Odds are it’s the fan clutch. Does the noise ever go away? If it IS the fan clutch, it’ll sound like it’s sucking in a lot of air all the time, meaning it’s locked up. Replacement is needed. However if it’s locked up you’d be lucky to get the RPMs past 3k. Once you get to 3k+ the serptine belt will spin faster than the fan can (because it’s sucking too much air) and you’ll get a loud vacuum sound with squealing sound

The fan clutch (if that’s the issue) should only be loud upon startup and should never be heard past 2k rpm.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:41 PM
that_guy
Champion

And if you do end up replacing the fan clutch make sure you get the mopar one. It's more money, but the aftermarket ones are completely ****.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:45 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by that_guy
And if you do end up replacing the fan clutch make sure you get the mopar one. It's more money, but the aftermarket ones are completely ****.
I agree. Get one from dodge.

I put a new one on my Durango when I was in Cali for vacation. Ran perfect around town for the month. Then I headed home.. half way home to TX it locked up on me just outside of Phoenix.

I had to do 40 mph for nearly 300 miles to the nearest “city” with an auto part store that had the part in stock. And it was at 2am in the morning so at least no traffic to fight with or slow down. But still, it sucked. And KILLED my gas mileage. I think on that tank I got 200 miles. On the highway I average around 450 miles on 20 gallons

Old 12-22-2013, 05:47 PM
that_guy
Champion

All the aftermarket ones I've had are just too aggressive with their engagement, that's why I ended up going the all electric route.

Quick Reply: Polished turd?