1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front differential help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:57 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stGenDurango
If you took the time to read my previous posts you would have seen that it is to DAMN cold out to take the time to do this, or I would have! Also you would have also read that I have gotten the required information and thanked those who were trying to help.

I am happy that you have taken the time to pad your post count by being of no help, and thank you for the time you wasted posting a response to a question that I did not ask!
You need to chill out buddy. People are here spending their time trying to offer you help. If you don't like the answer that was given, don't pay attention to it instead of being disrespectful to the people spending part of their day trying to help you.

And he does bring up a good point, if you're not the original owner of the truck there is a chance that someone could have swapped out the gears somewhere along the lines, and if that's the case and you put in the wrong gears your transfercase and possibly your transmission are ruined.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For hell sakes if you cant answer the question get out of the ball park. Yea they could have swapped it out but really whats the chance of that? Once you get it out you can count the gears on the pinion and the ring to ensure your gearing. When people start posting up stuff like
It's not rocket science.
Well how do you think he's going to re-act, like a princess? Also in case you missed it, he said it was locking up and with no bearings he might not be able to even turn it!

Answer, the axel is a 194 FIA in a 1998 and 1999.

All you have to do is look at the build sheet and see if your rear end is a 3.55 gear ratio or a 3.92 ratio and the front is the same or just off. You said the build sheet they provided is a 3.55 then there you have it, should be a 3.55. Count the gears when you get it out.

Gear oil is 80W-90 and capasity is 3.6 pts.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-10-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 PM
1stGenDurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydrashocker, thanks for the support. I don't really understand why if someone asks a question, why people feel the need to give you everything but what you ask for! It's not like I was asking to be spoon fed, just looking for a web address to request my own information.

Yes I was being a dick, but the reason was because not only did I already have the answer (as well as thanked those who tried to help), but his answer didn't even address my original question. Yes the outcome would have been the same, but all I asked for was web address for the Canadian Dodge site similar to the US one.

I had already exhausted all options for finding the gear code except for jacking the truck up and spinning the tire due to the abnormally cold weather. At -40F I will not be doing it, or going outside for that matter. If they had read my post, they would have known that!

Last edited by 1stGenDurango; 01-11-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

ok guys, i know iv been away alot lately but this kind of response to a relatively new member is ridiculous, why cant we all read carefully, and respond appropriately based on what is given, this is not a post trying to start anything, and if you dont ALL calm down and take it easy (this is not the first thread i ahve seen it in, but it better be the last, no not all parties i have observed are present in this thread, but the ones who are consider this your final warning to lighten up)

Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

When it warms up you will need to look in the differential and see if it's just internal damage or if you have external or other damage rendering it non-rebuildable. If it's non-rebuildable then you will need to swap at a bone yard again with a 1998 or 1999 model. There were a few 2000's with the 194 FIA, but not very many. Mainly you can tell because they went to R&P versus the older steering box of the first 2.1 years.

I've received master kits from a place called Six States and there are a few others like Randy's Ring & Pinion or there are other distributors out there you might have local. At least you can look up the information now as you have the type which I'm sure Spicer made your axels. I've uploaded manuals and there are others here and there to help you out, especially look in the FAQ section on the sticky on the main page.

With those frigid temps up there I would only use Fully Synthetic lubricants like Mobil One.

Good luck

Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 AM
1stGenDurango

Thanks Hydrashocker!

It was a catastrophic failure, cracked and marred the tailstock on the diff.

I have already sourced another 98 Durango, and already got the build sheet from it. It has a 9.25 and 3.92's and factory tow package, so I'll be swapping more parts than originally planned. I guess it's time to put in the lift that I've had for a year and step up to some larger tires as well.

Thanks again to all who have helped.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Be careful on the rear differential, there are 2 seporate sizes. There is a Corporate 8.25 and a corporate 9.25 and yours could be one, or the other could be eather or. If you have the 8.25 a replacement drop in 9.25 won't fit. You would need to do a rear axle swap and ensure the gearing to the front is the same.

Being the donor is a 3.92 gear ratio I would place my bets as it being a 9.25 size, however I have heard of just a few 8.25's with OEM gearing at 3.92 so be warned.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:07 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
ok guys, i know iv been away alot lately but this kind of response to a relatively new member is ridiculous, why cant we all read carefully, and respond appropriately based on what is given, this is not a post trying to start anything, and if you dont ALL calm down and take it easy (this is not the first thread i ahve seen it in, but it better be the last, no not all parties i have observed are present in this thread, but the ones who are consider this your final warning to lighten up)
Got it, I was wondering when this warning was coming. Not saying I'm innocent but just sayin it was bound to happen.....

Getting back to the topic at hand hopefully this all works out for you 1stGen cause catastrophic failure on any part is not fun. I hear ya on the cold part, I get to see plenty of it here. Also I would recommend once your bigger tires and new 3.92's are in finding a tuner to reprogram the computer so your speedometer is correct again.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 AM
1stGenDurango

Thanks Hydrashocker! I have already verified with the build sheet and visually that both rear axles are corporate 9.25 12 bolt. This weekend I will hopefully be starting on the parts swap. (This is all dependent on my friends availability to trailer the trucks to the autoclub shop)

Can't wait!

Adukart, I am always on the lookout for a tuner. If I don't find a used one locally I will buy new, if I have to... It is just one of a few things that are on my to do/wish list. Is any tuner brand/model better than the other? Or are they pretty much the same?

IE.. http://www.carid.com/1998-dodge-dura...ormance-chips/

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Take plenty of pictures and host them to www.photobucket.com or other host sight then paste the IMG link here so we can all see. Or you could do a write up on the procedure with pics.

Quick Reply: Front differential help