1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer case shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 PM
sprinkle.robert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case shifter

I have a 2000 Durango and the transfer case shifter freely moves around and I cant get it out of 4WD. whats my problem??? How do I fix?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

I'll move your post to the 1st gen Durango section.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Considering you have a manual lever you need to climb under the driver’s side on the transfer case and look at the linkage, most likely it came apart or you lost it. If you lost it head to the junk yard, if it popped out then you could make yourself a bushing from a close to size style.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 PM
jjjefferson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost mine too...again.

The linkage is held together with rubber grommets.

A: 1 piece is bolted onto the transfer case.

B: 1 piece is the shifter (flopping around)

C: 1 piece is an adjustable "intermediate" rod.

The whole thing is held together with 2 rubber grommets. Simply...a terrible design for UNDER a vehicle.

So slide under the truck and look at the transfer case. You will "probably" see the linkage hanging off either A or B. If you dont see a 6 inch rod about 3/8ths of an inch in diameter between A and B....then it fell off. If it fell off...you will need to shift that transfer case by hand to get it back into 2WD. If the rod is still there....slip it back onto the linkage then "gently" pull/push the shifter back into 2WD. I did the latter and then went looking on the Inter-Web for the Grommet.

You will need two grommets ( Part 5017960AA) and (if you have lost it) the shift linkage (part 52105389AA). You could get them off a junker...however...keep in mind this is a VERY common problem...they may be stripped already and secondly..this is a RUBBER part. Probably not going to be in any better shape than the one on your vehicle.

Dealership wants $18 EACH for the rubber grommets. I found them on e-bay 2 for $24 free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400637513864...S:3160&vxp=mtr

If you need the rod too....for $37 on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Dakota-Durango-transfer-case-shifter-linkage-lever-bushing-grommet-4X4-/400640298734?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4805ceee&vxp=mtr
Just push the grommets in and push the rod though the grommets and wait a couple of years for it to fall off again. :-) Like I said....terrible design.

Good Luck.

J

Quick Reply: Transfer case shifter