1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 dodge durango starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:59 PM
originaldodgeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge durango starting problems

hello i am new to the forum this is my first post here. i have a 1999 dodge durango slt 5.9. the problems i am having are when starting the vehicle at random times it fires up then dies i have to gas it to get it started hold the rpms then let off for it to return to normal operation. also some times when driving the rpms will spike or fall about 500 rpms. i have replaced the map, the iac, and the tps. i cleaned the throttlebody replaced all gaskets checked all lines and have adjusted the throttle. im running new plugs my wires, distributor and coil are also new. i am told the pcm was replaced so that should be new as well when i get her started she runs like a champ rpms are nice and steady they only act up after a long drive im stumped any help would be greatly appreciated thank you all!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:39 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Normally I'd say it could be the IAC, TPS, or battery/battery connections, but since you've already replaced the IAC and TPS that leaves checking the battery and connections.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:39 AM
originaldodgeman
Default 1999 dodge durango starting problem

i just put in a new battery as well cleaned the connections and have checked the grounds. this is why im stumped i have three of these diffrent years and the others are 4.7s but no problems with them. this one i have replaced most everything and very small change at least it runs now hahaha. i just feel there is somthing i have missed maby. i will admit im most familiar with the 4.7 platform. have two durango 4.7s and a dakota. would love to fix this 5.9s lil problem so they all are running smooth.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 PM
dxloat
Veteran

I had similar symptoms, turned out to be either the cam sensor under the distributor cap or the crank position sensor on the back passenger side of the motor. I'm not sure which one was the problem as I replaced them both. My symptoms also only surfaced when the D was good and hot, I can only guess it was an electrical wire in one of those sensors I mentioned losing connection after the heat caused expansion.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:03 PM
that_guy
Champion

Did you reset the computer after you changed all those sensors?

Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 PM
originaldodgeman

i knew there was somthing i was forgetting! i have not checked the crank position sensor. from what i hear it is a pain to get to did you do your yourself or did you take it in? if you took it in what did it end up costing you?. i do reset the system after any electrical part replacement. that_guy and dxloat thank you evry much for the input. i will let you know how it goes.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:04 PM
that_guy
Champion

Crankshaft position sensor isn't hard to replace. Take out the plastic fender liner on the passenger's side (held in with plastic body clips) then you can reach it. Depending on how long your arms are you might want to take off the wheel too.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:15 PM
originaldodgeman

i will take a look tomorrow thanks for the tip. i will take her in if i have to but i hate letting other people work on my stuff. any idea what im looking at spending on the sensor?

Old 02-23-2014, 04:37 AM
dxloat
Veteran

The crank sensor is located where the block meets the trans bell housing on the passenger side almost against the firewall. Yes, I did it myself and yes its pretty tight. I would recommend taking the wheel off and the fender liner, I could have never fit my ham hands in there with the liner in place. The plastic rivets they used to hold in the liner are basically 1 time use. You poke the post in the middle through the rivet to the inside to release them. Go to autozone or napa and buy different removable type plastic rivets to replace the stock ones.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by originaldodgeman
i will take a look tomorrow thanks for the tip. i will take her in if i have to but i hate letting other people work on my stuff. any idea what im looking at spending on the sensor?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...5806_726118_0_

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge durango starting problems