1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

p code 1740

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:10 PM
dodgegirl5.9L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p code 1740

sorry I think I hit the wrong button and am replying instead of asking a question so I hope everyone will still be able to see it.
I have a 2000 Durango R/T 5.9, engine light came on checked the p code it said overdrive solenoid or tcc. I noticed jerkiness in my rpm when trying to hold at certain higher speeds 80-100klm today on my way home from work I felt a jerk and then it would not shift into overdrive From what I hear it is possible just my overdrive solenoid which is a lot cheaper to fix than my tcc. Anyone have an idea?? anything would be appreciated and if It is my ods is it a hard fix to do

Old 02-25-2014, 10:58 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your transmission is a 46RE: P0740-TORQ CONV CLU, NO RPM DROP AT LOCKUP

Basically when going into full lockup whilst in OD the bands are not slipping now. When it first shifts in the motor is still moving slightly faster than the drive train (transmission). Then it fully locks up (no slip) and the sensor monitors the drop meaning the bodies have fully locked up so they are spinning at the same RPM's.

For some reason your OD housing did not fully lock up. This could be one of two things. Either the electronics aren't reading correct or there is an actual mechanical issue. One way to test the transmission is to depress the Tow button on the shifter and take it for a drive. This will manually lock up the torque convertor. If there are no issues then it most likely is just in the OD unit.

Going to take a few stabs in an attempt to help you however they may not in fact do much so good luck:

1. Check the fluid level. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2480520-post18.html
2. Replace the transmission output sensor, remove negative battery cable, and then replace the sensor on the driver’s side about 3/4 way back on trans. Have a rag handy as a little fluid comes out as you switch sensors.
3. Replace trans fluid and filter also adjust bands; only fill trans with ATF+4 fluid not multi-vehicle fluid.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 02-25-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: p code 1740