1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Please Help!! 2000 durango transfer case 244 to 2003 durango transfer case.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:23 AM
kimwelch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Please Help!! 2000 durango transfer case 244 to 2003 durango transfer case.

I have a 2003 Durango and was driving to work a few weeks ago when my transfer case blew up and took out my front drive shaft. I have replaced the front drive shaft but I have been struggling to get a straight answer as to what transfer case I need. I know that it is the model 244 from my vin number but that seems to be the only ting I can get a straight answer on. I have been unable to find another way to work and have been out of work since this happened. I may have found a transfer case that will work but even dodge can't tell me if it will work. I have talked to five parts departments and dodge itself several times. Here is what I know for sure. The transfer case in my 2003 is a 244. The transfer case that I found that I can afford is a 244 but would be coming out of a 2000 Durango. If this one wont work could someone please help me to understand why not and if anyone knows what years I can get the 244 transfer case from that will work with my vehicle it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise can someone give me the right questions to ask to get the answer I need from dodge. They are telling me the only way they could know for sure is if I bring it to a dodge dealership and pay to have it evaluated. I am starting to get very frustrated and need to get back to work.

I really appreciate it.
Kim

Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kimwelch
I have a 2003 Durango and was driving to work a few weeks ago when my transfer case blew up and took out my front drive shaft. I have replaced the front drive shaft but I have been struggling to get a straight answer as to what transfer case I need. I know that it is the model 244 from my vin number but that seems to be the only ting I can get a straight answer on. I have been unable to find another way to work and have been out of work since this happened. I may have found a transfer case that will work but even dodge can't tell me if it will work. I have talked to five parts departments and dodge itself several times. Here is what I know for sure. The transfer case in my 2003 is a 244. The transfer case that I found that I can afford is a 244 but would be coming out of a 2000 Durango. If this one wont work could someone please help me to understand why not and if anyone knows what years I can get the 244 transfer case from that will work with my vehicle it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise can someone give me the right questions to ask to get the answer I need from dodge. They are telling me the only way they could know for sure is if I bring it to a dodge dealership and pay to have it evaluated. I am starting to get very frustrated and need to get back to work.

I really appreciate it.
Kim

It will physically bolt up to yours but, the problem would be that in 2000 the transfer cases where manually shifted and in 2003 they where electronically shifted. You would need to find a 244 from a 2001-2003 model year.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:39 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct. you’ll need a TC from early 2001 MY to 2003

It will need to be electronic. A manual unit from an older D is not worth the hassle to modify.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

as stated the t-case would bolt up, but you would have no way to shift it (unless you want to cut your floor pan open) 01-03 MY cases would be a direct swap

Old 03-02-2014, 11:55 AM
kimwelch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks

Thanks for your help guys. I thought that was probably right but with not taking it to dodge to be repaired I just wanted to make sure when I bought something it would fit. Has anyone else experienced this issue of them not being able to give a straight forward answer as to what parts will work with repairs. This is the second time it has happened to me and I have only owned a dodge for six months.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:43 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Dealers can be idiots, no matter the brand.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kimwelch
Thanks for your help guys. I thought that was probably right but with not taking it to dodge to be repaired I just wanted to make sure when I bought something it would fit. Has anyone else experienced this issue of them not being able to give a straight forward answer as to what parts will work with repairs. This is the second time it has happened to me and I have only owned a dodge for six months.

You will never get a straight answer out of a dealer no matter who it is... Dealers are there to make $$$ they want you to bring it to them and let them do the work and charge you thought the nose to do it..

Think about it for a min if you where a mechanic would you give advise to what will and won't work on a vehicle and chance a customer DYI the job and not bringing it in and paying you to do it? Not saying there's no honest dealers/mechanics out there, just saying they rather have your business.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:01 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

How are the engine mounts?

Quick Reply: Please Help!! 2000 durango transfer case 244 to 2003 durango transfer case.