1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Parking lights and instrument cluster lights up when I step on brake pedal. Any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 PM
MrTopgun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking lights and instrument cluster lights up when I step on brake pedal. Any ideas

I just bought a 2002 Durango SXT 4x4, the other night I got in and hadn't turned on the headlights yet and stepped on the brake pedal and to my surprise the instrument cluster lit up and then I noticed an amber glow from the front of the vehicle. The parking lights light up as well. Obviously it's a short somewhere. Anyone have an idea where I should start looking?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar issue with my '02 SLT. Step on the brake and the left side lights lit up, but only when it was cold around 10-12° F. Once it warmed up it quit. So I'm guessing it was in the interior of the vehicle. Never did find it as the vehicle got totaled last Sept.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd suspect a short somewhere in the tail light, since that's where the brake and parking lights are in closest proximity. Remove the connector from the tail lights and see if the problem is still there. If not you know the issue is in the tail lights.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 AM
MrTopgun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for the tip that_guy as soon as the Michigan weather get to like 20F it will be a heat wave and I'll go out and take a look. Until then I'm still hibernating. :-)

Quick Reply: Parking lights and instrument cluster lights up when I step on brake pedal. Any ideas