1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Top dash pad removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 01:12 PM
amx1968
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top dash pad removal

Has any one removed the top dash pad ( crash pad) on their Durango? the main one that runs from driver side pillar across top of gauge cluster to passenger side pillar post, need to remove so I can fix dash material curling loose because of Texas heat right in front of gauges towards front window. How do you remove completely I see the screws at top of cluster where else? Thanks for any information that can be shead on this problem.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:16 AM
smokester653
Default RE: Top dash pad removal

When you find out let me know too. I just found that mine has "bubbles" in it in a couple of places. It almost seemed like it happened overnight. Post how you repaired it also if you can. If I get mine repaired quickly I'll let you know.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:58 AM
superkid778

I have the same problem. I need help locating all the screws. How did you guys fair?

Old 11-27-2006, 07:51 PM
wagmc

you have to remove the entire dash assembly to get the "top" off.

I had good luck with contact cement, a small brush and standing on the running board to look through the windshield.

I also used a large bore needle and syringe (turkey marinade injector) to apply glue under the material. if you do this, be careful to push out any air through the needle hole. I was able to reach about an 8" dia area doing this. cleaned up with lighter fluid. all I'm left with is 2 small "nicks" where the needle went, and it's hidden behind the "hump" over the instrument cluster.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:05 PM
cstradling24

ORIGINAL: wagmc

you have to remove the entire dash assembly to get the "top" off.

I had good luck with contact cement, a small brush and standing on the running board to look through the windshield.

I also used a large bore needle and syringe (turkey marinade injector) to apply glue under the material. if you do this, be careful to push out any air through the needle hole. I was able to reach about an 8" dia area doing this. cleaned up with lighter fluid. all I'm left with is 2 small "nicks" where the needle went, and it's hidden behind the "hump" over the instrument cluster.
Hes right. The steering wheel has to be lowered and the car will be striped to the fire wall when your all done. I had to replace the evaporator core and that is on the fire wall so I had to take it all out and I then noticed its all one piece. the screws you see are helping hold the WHOLE dash to your firewall/frame.

Quick Reply: Top dash pad removal