1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Free-Wheelin' Left Front Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:37 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I actually just got new tires and an alignment (toe was off) at Firestone yesterday too. I'm very happy with their work so far.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM
DyingBreed
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. If the rotors are bad they need replaced or turned if they aren't already too far gone. I don't know about where you are but places around here usually charge $7-10 to turn them. Not that much for the benefit in return

Old 04-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

I wouldn't be happy having them turned. I'd rather replace them now with heavier duty rotors and pads. Even if they were turnable, that's only buying me a little time and then I'm right back where I am right now. I'd rather upgrade now. I just don't have the funds to search for dual-piston calipers.
So, my question that begs to be answered is, "Who has gone to a heavier duty rotor and pads and what brand did you go with?" Otherwise, if no one sees a reason why I shouldn't go with those I found at RockAuto, then I'm going to go that option. I've purchased control arms and tie-rods for my bimmer from them with no problems.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:47 PM
DyingBreed
Professional

Why the heavy duty need?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 AM
Bimmer
Rookie

Originally Posted by DyingBreed
Why the heavy duty need?
I thought I had made it clear that standard rotors were only lasting six months, if that before they warp.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 AM
DyingBreed
Professional

Originally Posted by Bimmer
I thought I had made it clear that standard rotors were only lasting six months, if that before they warp.

And it could also be made to assume that your unhappy and findings provided by Firestone vs. Midas could be made that Midas were putting crap parts on your vehicle if they were even changing them at all. 4-6 months on warping rotors is a bigger issue than blaming it on the standard rotors as is. For all you know Midas could have just been charging you for rotors without having changed them. The cross drilled and slotted rotors you mentioned above would warp just as easily if you are having an underlying issue causing this. Much less that most shops don't have the right equipment to resurface cross drilled rotors. They are typically one off usage. But it's your money and are free to do as you wish with it. However if it were me I would try a cheaper "good" set of rotors with fresh pads. If you do the work then you know for a fact and will know more what to keep an eye for if you start to notice the pulsing again. I have had my rotors on for 2+ years now and have minimal pulsing from a slight need to have them turned.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Heavier duty pads and rotors are never a bad thing if you ask me. That said regular ones shouldn't be wearing out that fast, like mentioned above.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Bimmer
Rookie

Originally Posted by DyingBreed
And it could also be made to assume that your unhappy and findings provided by Firestone vs. Midas could be made that Midas were putting crap parts on your vehicle if they were even changing them at all. 4-6 months on warping rotors is a bigger issue than blaming it on the standard rotors as is. For all you know Midas could have just been charging you for rotors without having changed them. The cross drilled and slotted rotors you mentioned above would warp just as easily if you are having an underlying issue causing this. Much less that most shops don't have the right equipment to resurface cross drilled rotors. They are typically one off usage. But it's your money and are free to do as you wish with it. However if it were me I would try a cheaper "good" set of rotors with fresh pads. If you do the work then you know for a fact and will know more what to keep an eye for if you start to notice the pulsing again. I have had my rotors on for 2+ years now and have minimal pulsing from a slight need to have them turned.
There's no doubt that they're using sub-grade parts or how else could they make money on lifetime warranty? The only revenue they can generate after the sale is labor. The only way to potentiate that labor revenue is to
install parts with shallow longevity. It's not likely they didn't replace the rotors or else the pads would have quickly wore down thereby exposing the warped rotor even faster.
Besides that, I'm pretty diligent about checking work done. There's nobody I trust 100% to work on this vehicle and as mentioned previously, I do ALL my own work and rebuilding on my bimmer. The Durango is our daily driver and it gets heavy use. On a daily basis both my daughter and wife work at different places and I go to school often at different times during the day so there are many routine roundtrips. Add into that all the errand running, shopping and excursions it adds up fast. There is 215K on the clock right now. What other causes are there for rotor warp? My calipers are good and the pistons don't seem to be dragging or hanging up. And everything else seems to be in good condition according to Firestone. I know that severe temperature fluctuation can cause warp, such as hot rotors being immediately quenched in a puddle of water.

Originally Posted by that_guy
Heavier duty pads and rotors are never a bad thing if you ask me. That said regular ones shouldn't be wearing out that fast, like mentioned above.
Weather permitting we do a fair amount of fishing and taking the boat out with the steep grade of the boat ramps due to low water levels, just launching and retrailering the boat puts at lot of stress on the brakes so I thought that alone would be a bonus to add HD rotors.

Last edited by Bimmer; 04-07-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Free-Wheelin' Left Front Rotor