1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

44re randomly quit

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 PM
thurd94
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 44re randomly quit

1998 5.2L 4x4. Sat for a few months at a shop, that I trust because I personally know the people and I help there, trying to figure out the electrical problem. Was able to start it and drive it on the tow truck, sat in the driveway for 2 weeks, and when I released the E-brake, truck off and in park, it took off. Dodge fixed the electrical, -PCM, but they can't get it to engage in any gear. No codes.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Remove the pan and check the park paw rod. The rod may have come off at the valve body or the end of the road is broken. This is not uncommon. If you need to replace the rod. The overdrive unit needs to be removed and the valve body. But be careful of the paper gasket between the transmission case and overdrive unit, because if the gasket comes apart. Then you would need to remove the transmission to install a new gasket. Also once the overdrive unit is off, don't rotate the output shaft. That's because all of the direct clutches are lined up. One more thing check the transfer case and make sure its not in neutral, this will also cause the same problem. I would check that first before ripping the transmission apart.

Last edited by master tech; 04-30-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
The overdrive unit needs to be removed and the valve body.
Is that so the park rod can come out? I have gotten it out without removing the O/D unit but if the end of the rod broke a debris check of the O/D unit would be need anyways.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 AM
thurd94
Amateur

It's actually at Chapman dodge, due to the PCM, but I am going there in the morning so I will relay all this to them. As for the transfer case, I know it was changed between drives with the truck off. Dad's friend told me tonight to check that, so again I'll talk to the trans guys. Thanks for support so far!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:46 AM
thurd94
Amateur

I have read this, by HydraShocker who has been helping me,--

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...agnostics.html

My section would be: 4th down: NO DRIVE OR REVERSE (VEHICLE WILL NOT MOVE)

Old 05-01-2014, 01:07 PM
thurd94
Amateur

Fixed it! The transfer case was not in the correct drive, it lagged 1 behind, so I put it to the bottom, 4L and yanked it even harder, then put back to 2H and runs fine.

Quick Reply: 44re randomly quit