1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

CTM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 PM
sheepdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTM replacement

Hello All,

So I have been experiencing the dreaded and apparently not-so-uncommon failure of the CTM on my 2002 Durango SLT. My mechanic confirmed my suspicions that it was the CTM and told me that it was a "dealer only" part and a new CTM would have to be programmed by the dealer or the vehicle probably wouldn't start.

After further research on this forum and others, I bought a CTM off eBay (part # 56049073AG, the same part # on the original CTM), plugged it in and all was well. At least for one 20 mile trip. I noticed that the "security" light on the dash came on after about a minute with the new CTM. The next time that I unlocked the driver side door with the key, the vehicle went into "panic mode", horn honking, lights flashing, and vehicle wouldn't start. I plugged the original CTM back in and vehicle started and ran, but original symptoms, erratically flashing headlights and interior lights, returned.

I took the vehicle to the local Dodge dealer to have the new CTM "programmed". They attempted to "program" the CTM but told me a variety of conflicting reasons why they couldn't program it. Their explanations (from two different parts people, the service scheduler and service tech) included that they couldn't get the new CTM to communicate with their computer/scan tool, indicating that the new CTM was "dead". They also compared the CTM to a "read only" DVD that had been "burned" at the factory and could not be "overwritten", that the CTMs are specific to the vehicle and could not be reprogrammed. Finally, they told me that the replacement part that I got from eBay was the wrong part#, that I should get part #56049073AK instead of #56049073AG, even though the original part in the vehicle ended in G. The dealer explanation was that the "K" part was a "revised" part, that the part is "plug n play" and should work fine. The dealer service scheduler even located one on eBay, which leads me to believe that the issue at the dealer is more incompetence/ignorance on their part as opposed to a profit motive to get me to buy their $425.00 CTM.

So my question is this: is there really any difference between CTMs for 2001-2003 Durangos, and if not, what would cause my replacement unit to activate the anti-theft mode of my Durango, which does not have an alarm system of any sort, either factory or after market.

Any constructive information or advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is what is what I know and what years should be available, but only if you stay in those years.

1998-1999 are the same.

2000 through 2002 are basically the same.

2003 is it's own animal.

As for the rest of your questions, talk to master tech.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 05-07-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: CTM replacement