1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Electrical issues??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:57 AM
403Phaze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Electrical issues??

I recently installed a sub, wired with fuses and proper ground (self wired)

its been about a week since the install and a couple of days ago it started acting weird,

the Battery gauge went from being in the middle to completely dropping to the left (dead) but i still had everything lights, sub....

if i turn the ignition off, then on again it works fine with no issues,

and today, most recent issue, but most major...

my check engine light came on, the fluid levels are great (oil, coolant, washer, ps....) i have no issues with studdering or bogging, or fluctuating RPM's

im not sure what could be the issue, battery was purchased under a month ago, only thing i haven't checked was Alternator or starter, but they have not given me issues

does anyone else have an idea on what could be causing this?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:55 AM
winkie74
Professional

All kinds of things can happen with electrical wiring especially when you add electrical accessories. First find a friend or go to a parts store and see if you can borrow a code reader or have a shop read the codes that turned on your check engine light.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:25 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, figure out what the code is for and let us know. Disconnect the power wires for the sound system from the battery and see if things are still acting up. That'll at least help you narrow it down.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i would check the grounds first. IDEA: move the ground all the way the bat NEG post. my dad had a saying " all ways check the last thing worked on."

Old 05-17-2014, 04:54 PM
403Phaze

Originally Posted by that_guy
Yeah, figure out what the code is for and let us know. Disconnect the power wires for the sound system from the battery and see if things are still acting up. That'll at least help you narrow it down.
soo, found the issue, my alternator failed, on a drive to the next town 130km away, everything died after battery drained, no electricity is NOT fun when your doing 120km/h on the highway, anyways replaced the alternator now runs great!

thanks guys!!

Old 05-17-2014, 05:14 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah that's no fun. My alternator crapped out last month, but luckily I noticed the gauge never came up before I pulled out of the driveway, so I just went to autozone and had them replace it under warranty.

Quick Reply: Electrical issues??