1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer Case Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Got the return authorization, so I'm gonna ship that wrong switch back to partsgeek tomorrow.
are they going to send you the right one?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:27 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

No they dont have any.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:29 PM
DJeXeCute
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks

Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 PM
that_guy
Champion

Any luck at the junkyard Jeremy? Also I've been thinking that I could put old switch in the lathe and cut off the part that's crimped over to hold it together, and see if I could get it apart and see what's wrong with it. The only thing that's making me hesitant to do that is that it might not want to go back together afterwards and it could possibly not be sealed anymore.

Picture of one of the $70 new ones for reference:

Last edited by that_guy; 06-08-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Any luck at the junkyard Jeremy? Also I've been thinking that I could put old switch in the lathe and cut off the part that's crimped over to hold it together, and see if I could get it apart and see what's wrong with it. The only thing that's making me hesitant to do that is that it might not want to go back together afterwards and it could possibly not be sealed anymore.

Picture of one of the $70 new ones for reference:
Didn't get op there yet... i wanted to on Wednesday but we been getting some pretty good thunderstorms that have left the junkyard a mud hole and having to lay on the ground to get one... well you know..

I will give it a shot when it dries up a bit but, the weatherman is calling for another stormy week.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:41 AM
that_guy
Champion

Yeah its been storming here too.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:41 PM
that_guy
Champion

Ok, so I figured I didn't have anything to loose with the old switch, so I took it apart. As far as I can tell water must have gotten in the switch which rusted the contacts and spring (the spring actually rusted through) which was why it wasn't working before. I cleaned out the inside of the switch and replaced the spring. It's working for the most part now, but it's not quite perfect. It does seem like it wants to stick some. I filed and lubricated the moving parts to help them move better, but it wasn't enough.

Inside of the switch. That little rectangular black piece gets pushed by the plunger, and the little contacts on it ride along contacts in the main part of the switch. That spring returns it back, and you can see how rusty it was.

The plunger rides along in there and pushes on that little rectangular black piece from the last picture.

After putting the switch back together.

Working lights.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:01 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well it works for now!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:46 AM
that_guy
Champion

Hopefully it'll keep working until I can find another one at a junkyard (since I don't want to spend $70 on a new one). The rectangular piece that has the contacts on it must be worn some, so sometimes it gets cocked and won't go up the whole way to shut off the lights when you go back to 2wd, unless you play around with it for a while.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:34 PM
that_guy
Champion

So I have to say it sure is nice having the full time 4wd option. It was torrentially downpouring earlier and partially flooding the roads, so I figured I'd try out the full time 4wd when I had to go out. The end of my street always had a few inches of water laying on it when it rains, and if you have to pull out quickly into traffic (blind turn) it usually results in spinning the back wheels. So with it in full time I stepped on it hard enough that it would definitely spin the back wheels in 2wd and it didn't slip at all, it just took off like it was dry. It sure will be nice this winter too I'm guessing.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Swap