1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Misfire issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014 | 01:23 PM
Backyardmechanic2007
|
Default Misfire issues

Ok, after blowing a Bank 1 head gasket on my beloved 2001 5.9 Durango with 150K, I installed new rebuilt/resurfaced heads along with all the necessary gaskets, changed/flushed all fluids until they were contaminant free, and installed distributor cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Also new water pump and a rebuilt alternator for safe measures. On initial start up test, she fired right up but I have a misfire and realized that the Bank 2 cylinders aren't firing, the exhaust manifold remains cold while Bank 1 manifold gets nice and hot. I tested for spark and that checked out, so some how there's no fuel getting to Bank 2 injectors. Any ideas before I go chasing electrical? No check engine light and no OBD codes to give me a hint, and I'm trying to avoid running it long enough to throw an OBD code.

Old 06-02-2014 | 11:31 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Something could have gotten into the fuel line and plugged it, seen this before with rust in the rail. Remove the fuel line rail and clean it good, also check the injectors. Also make sure it's sparking at just before TDC on the passenger side to make sure you didn't skip time.

Old 06-19-2014 | 03:37 AM
Backyardmechanic2007
|

Thanks Hydrashocker, still no luck, I just got done going over the fuel rail and no blockages or much corrosion unfortunately. I relieved the fuel pressure before disassembly as directed by the manual and I noticed a good but even amount of residual fuel in both sides of the rail. So apparently I am getting fuel to bank 2 injectors. I then swapped the injectors from bank 2 to bank 1 to see if the misfire would follow the injectors. Installed new injector o-rings I got with the head gasket kit. Still running exactly the same and passenger side exhaust manifold remains cold. No apparent leaks and no overheating the temperature is perfect. Really getting frustrated enough to almost want to pay the shop labor rate for a detailed diagnostic exam. So my question now is how do I check to make sure it's sparking just before TDC?

P.S. I also checked for correct ignition wire routing for the dozenth time, too bad it wasn't as simple as a couple mixed up plug wires.

Old 06-22-2014 | 01:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

You need to use a scanner to check the sink timing. Have you try switching one of the injector from bank one to bank two?

Old 06-28-2014 | 10:37 PM
Backyardmechanic2007
|

Thanks master tech, yes I did sawp the injectors and no difference. So looking like I will have to take it to the one trusted shop here in town, see if they can check the sync timing. My next question is, when I tore it down to replace the head gaskets and put the new heads on should I have rotated it to top dead center before I removed the rockers/lifters? I am getting proper spark, getting fuel to injectors, still bank 2 exhaust manifold remains cold. Seems valves aren't operating correctly or fuel/air mixture is wrong. Will hold idle right around 700-800 RPMs, no stalling, no overheating, no leaks just starts rough and misfires. I don't know what to do now besides take her in on payday and pray.

Old 06-30-2014 | 04:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Has long as you didn't removed the distributor, the timing should be good. But if you did remove the distributor, then you need to check the sync timing.

Old 06-30-2014 | 11:30 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

double check the injector wires, could wires be mixed up? maybe not seated? Use a noid light to check injector signal

Quick Reply: Misfire issues