1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dead in the driveway

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:48 AM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead in the driveway

Hey All, Been awhile since I needed some insight but my 98 Durango was having some starting issues where I would turn the key, all the electrical would come on of course but then I would get one click upon the turn of the key and no turn over.

This actually went away for about a week and just a few days ago started up again & now when I turn my key the electrical all comes on but theirs not even a click, its just doing nothing when I try to start it but all the electrical is coming on.

is it possible I have a short in my ignition?

Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 AM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie

also wanna add that at times to get it to start while I had the clicking issue I had to turn my steering wheel to a certain position for it to start, move slightly out that position and it wouldn't start

Old 06-04-2014, 11:43 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a bad connection.

Here, as long as your not a Green Bay NFL fan.

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Set up a multi meter where it is across your battery terminals but you can see the read out from the drivers side. Now try to turn over the truck where the solenoid should click and it should try to start. If there is just a bit of drop in voltage then it's a bad connection or solenoid. If there is a very large draw then it's a bad starter motor.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:07 PM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie

I have had bad starters before & this even though I am by far no pro I don't really think that's it even though Ill try it. this though seems to be in my column, as I got so pissed off this morning with the clicking and not finding the spot that I slammed my fist on the top of the ignition area & that's when the clicking stopped & it pretty much went dead with no clicking or anything afterwards.

I will try this method using the multi meter tho

Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 PM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie

Well I went out & was messing around with it & it definitely has to do with something in the steering column as I have to have the wheel set to a certain position ( just a bit to the right of center ) for it to crank over, when it is in any other position I get the 1 click sound & nothing.

So with this said what can anyone suggest may be the culprit?

I tried taking off the steering column cover box to look inside to see if anything doesn't look right but I failed at even getting off the cover,lol if anyone would like to give me a pointer on that 1 I'd appreciate it as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 AM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie

I feel like I am throwing you all a curveball on this one,lol

Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I think there are torx screws that hold the two halves of the cover together from the bottom.

Interestingly enough I get an occasional click instead of the starter doing anything sometimes now too. The other day it wouldn't start in the morning (tried neutral and swapping relays). Left, came back an hour later and it started right up. Yesterday it wouldn't start, took the keys out of the ignition put them back in and it started.

Quick Reply: Dead in the driveway