1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

....head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:38 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Check the transmission fluid too to make sure coolant didn't get into it if the radiator failed (assuming the transmission fluid still has an integral cooler in the radiator for 2003). I think I remember reading something about the thermostats in the 4.7 being sensitive about a weep hole or something too. Some searching should turn up info on that.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:13 PM
autoshh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solved.

So apparently nothing was wrong... Aside from the seal on the old radiator cap blowing off. We cleared my fluids, found some milky white liquid in the bottom reservoir of the radiator. Flushed it with water, then filled with 50/50. We ended up tearing the engine down just to check, the head gasket is fine. Water pump, fine. Everything is fine.

So, somehow I only had to replace the upper hose assembly for the radiator. It cost me $55 in parts and lunch for my mechanic from one of our local spots. I'm still weary so I'll be checking everything for a while. I'm preventatively changing my oil again on Monday, and replacing my tranny fluid. But it seemed fine along with everything else.

So the mystery continues.

Quick Reply: ....head gasket?