1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 Durango R/T Front Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:40 PM
rjlane1@pacbell.net
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Durango R/T Front Rotors

Anyone replace the rotors on an 03 Durango R/T? Got the wheel off, brakes and calipers off. Just the rotor sitting there and it isn't budging. I know that there are variations among the years, but am I missing a bolt or is it just rusted on and going to have to be hammered off. Trying not to damage anything.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 PM
dxloat
Veteran

They just kinda rust to the bolt flange, generally you can just whack it a few times with a dead blow hammer and it will pop loose. When I reassemble I usually put a light coating of grease on the hub flange to keep it from sticking the next time.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
rjlane1@pacbell.net
Rookie

I cried uncle last night and put it back together with the original rotor. This morning I attempted the other side with the advice here, and other forums regarding removing rotors. The consensus seemed to be you may have to beat the living crap out of it. After a little more patience and targeted PB blaster, it came off pretty easily using a pry bar.

2nd question, more closely related to the brakes. When compressing the pistons, I may have gone a little to far and got brake fluid spewing from the master cylinder. I opened the fill reservoir and it overfload. Assuming I squeezed brake fluid back up into the cylindar and reservoir. Does this call for bleeding the brakes?

Last edited by rjlane1@pacbell.net; 09-11-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-11-2014, 01:42 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No, you don't have to bleed the brakes unless you open a line somewhere, or let the master run out of fluid.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:21 PM
rjlane1@pacbell.net
Rookie

With blowing that fluid back through the master, any chance i ruined the master cylinder? The pedal was soft, went all the way to the floor, but now looks to be ok after a couple pumps. Seems like a lot of fluid went out though. If I need to add fluid, is bleeding necessary?

Old 09-11-2014, 05:00 PM
rjlane1@pacbell.net
Rookie

Well, so far so good. Front brakes and rotors, plus front and rear shocks knocked out. Never quite as easy as youtube videos depict, but all in all, glad to have saved close to $600 from the shop for the same work.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hope you got Bilsteins.

Quick Reply: 03 Durango R/T Front Rotors