Bigboi407
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 5.9 4x4, p0420, no power and P/S Vibration

so i am going to take on the task of repairing some things on a

2003 durango SLT
5.9 4x4
89,000 Miles

The transmission has always had some issue, it does need another tranny but it doesnt malfunction in such a way which would affect the power transfer (At least not in my mind)

the PO made the mistake of taking the durango to a meineke and it hasnt ran right since then, it has NO POWER, i swear i can smoke this 5.9 with my dakota 2.5 ALL DAY..... I mentioned that something was wrong with the durango, and then the next day a P0420 code appears, im suspecting a clogged cat, which if thats the case, the restriction COULD cause the power loss because the tranny pressure is contradicted by the air intake pressure, at least this is my understanding of automatics, but there are NO other codes

The durango also vibrates in rotation with the P/S Hub/Shaft, due to 4x4 i dont think i can just check the bearing by lifting and trying to jiggle the rim by hand like i can with my 2wd Dakota, do i need to remove the shafts to find the vibration?

But back to the P0420 code, i was told Cats dont just go bad, that there must be another issue in between the intake/exhaust to cause this clogging issue, via EGR or some other component which could cause the exhaust to clog the cat, correct?

Last edited by Bigboi407; 10-28-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Bigboi407
Professional

So there is Liquid shooting out the tail pipe and doesnt feel to be restricted, a Buddy is willing to bet $$$$$$ that the Aftermarket Clutch fan is whats causing the power loss because his durango had the same ordeal

With the fact that the tail pipe spits water out, ive always been told thats how you know a catalytic converter is functioning properly, SO i believe my P0420 code is due to failing O2 sensors

Old 11-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Bigboi407
Professional

is there a problem with my thread? it is in the correct category, is it not?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:44 PM
laz45
Veteran

From what I see your post is in the correct section. I'll try and answer some of your questions but let's clear a couple things and then back to basics.So, in order from your first post,
If your 2.5 Dakota is smoking your 5.9 yea, something's up. Start by completely going over the work the PO had done at meineke. A friend had similar issues, incl 0420 and other codes caused by crossed plug wires, cross 2 and its a loss of power and a code, usually more symptoms than that but the right 2 crossed and that's what you get. Check the firing order(use your manual) and then check all the tune up (ignition)components. You want to rule out a mistake by meineke first, check if there are other codes.
P0420- catalyst system efficiency below threshold... Lots of causes, incl faulty plugs or wires, intake air leaks, faulty injector, exhaust tube, bad ignition timing etc etc. If you find the issue great if not come back and inform.
Vibrates in rotation. Yes, Jack it up, grab the wheel and see if you have excessive play in the hubs(bearings) then have a look at the half shafts, check for play at the joints.
Ok, next, before pointing to your cat, check for vacuum leaks... lines, the intake,etc. Check the maf sensor, clean it, make sure everything is connected correctly, check your air filter. After these steps you're digging deeper but this is a starting point.
Also, the clutch fan... this aids in warming up your engine, doubt it will cause a power loss. When they fail they either lock up which causes your engine to take longer warming up, or they spin which causes your engine to run hot. They are fairly easy to test tho. Inadvertently It may be contributing to your moisture in the tail pipe question. Which in itself isn't a reason to point at the cat either, yet that is. Water out the exhaust, NOT caused by an internal engine issue(ie bad head gasket etc) is condensation from a cold exhaust, engine not brought to operating temp to either evaporate or blow it out. Now, if your fan clutch is locked up it will exaggerate this but usually it's just condensation unless you have a major problem, does it go away after the engine is warm? Does it smell sweet? Are you getting plumes of white smoke or just water?
Start here and come back, someone will assist further if needed

Old 11-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Bigboi407
Professional

it does throw something what u could call white smoke, its not burning oil, i wouldnt suspect a blown gasket one bit, its got 90k and has been babied since purchased, 1st owner was my father in-law, now my its my fiance's durango, because her Kia Sedona gave out after the odometer hit 100k

i dont see any vacuum leaks anywhere obvious, it doesnt idle as if it had a vacuum leak, and i sprayed the engine bay with carb cleaner like all hell without any change to RPMs

the actual muffler is leaking due to it being rusted out, i believe the O2 sensors are original OEMs, and theres about 30-40k miles on the current plugs and wires

BUT, this durango did haul *** before being sent to a meineke.....

*XXXX* i Do notice that there is a hissing sound when i tap the gas, it only hisses when i tap the pedal, and this only happens while in motion, so i suspect its Tranny Related *XXXX*

Last edited by Bigboi407; 11-06-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 5.9 4x4, p0420, no power and P/S Vibration