1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1998 Durango rear drum brake job, NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:30 PM
DurangoDan98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 Durango rear drum brake job, NEED HELP!!

I was having some pretty severe brake issues and had to change the front pads, rotors, and calipers. When I went to the rear to bleed the brakes, I noticed brake fluid coming out of the rear driver's side drum..... Not Good! I bought new drums, shoes, Spring kit, and wheel piston for both sides. just decided to say "Screw it!" and change both. The problem i am running into is this, when I took the rear brakes apart, they were in shambles! They literally fell apart when I took the drums off. I have the parts separated to put it back together, but was wondering if anyone here had a photo they could send of the drum brakes assembled for me to reference. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 1998 Durango 5.2L v-8 magnum motor, any other info on it I can provide!

Old 11-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DurangoDan98
I was having some pretty severe brake issues and had to change the front pads, rotors, and calipers. When I went to the rear to bleed the brakes, I noticed brake fluid coming out of the rear driver's side drum..... Not Good! I bought new drums, shoes, Spring kit, and wheel piston for both sides. just decided to say "Screw it!" and change both. The problem i am running into is this, when I took the rear brakes apart, they were in shambles! They literally fell apart when I took the drums off. I have the parts separated to put it back together, but was wondering if anyone here had a photo they could send of the drum brakes assembled for me to reference. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 1998 Durango 5.2L v-8 magnum motor, any other info on it I can provide!

Here's a link to download the "brakes" section of the 1998 factory service manual.... There are a bunch of diagrams in there.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ew...++++Brakes.PDF

Old 11-04-2014, 02:19 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

This is the passenger's side

Old 11-04-2014, 03:23 PM
DurangoDan98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are lifesavers!!!

Old 11-05-2014, 01:08 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Happy to help.

Quick Reply: 1998 Durango rear drum brake job, NEED HELP!!