1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango, problems with 4wd and CTM

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:53 AM
zimmer28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Durango, problems with 4wd and CTM

Screwy problems with my Durango.

1.) The 4wd selector is not illuminated and will not shift the transfer case. Pulled C3 on TCCM and motor operated both into and out of 4WD by jumpering across the 12 supply, so the shift motor works fine. The "Service 4WD" comes on at ignition on, even before starting the SUV.

2.) CTM does not report any "Door Ajar" conditions. Does not report "Gate Open" condition. Does not engage the auto door locks. All other hard wired connections work (headlights, door locks, power windows, etc).

But "this" is what happens "very" intermittently.

First, after I do a battery disconnect system reset, this is how the intermittent problem occurs:

When neither the CTM or TCCM is working, I drive the truck for a short bit (the engine gets warmed up and goes to closed loop mode?). When I start the SUV back up, I get a check engine light and THEN everything starts working (The 4WD indicator comes on), the auto locks work when rollling down the road, the "door Ajar" light works, etc. etc. When I shut the vehicle off and turn it right back on, everything with the CTM and TCCM works. When I leave the vehicle off for a while, I turn it on and the CTM, and TCCM are dead again.

After this check engine light comes on and "stays on", the CTM and TCCM work very intermittently (most of the time nothing works, and every once in a while everything comes on and works), but ONLY after the vehicle has warmed up, I've shut it off recently after the vehicle has warmed up, and that check engine light is on. And when I say intermittent, I mean like one in every 8-12 times I drive the vehicle.

I had an ODB11 scan done once and got an error code of P0456 which is EVAP small lead detected. I'm going to have it done again, now that the check engine light is back on, and see if I get the same error.

I have checked power and ground wires via the Factory Service Manual and my Fluke Meter. I've check for power to each module and the grounds as well. I've check the connections to the PCI junction block.

Also, the CTM and the TCCM either start working at the "same" time", or go off.

The wiring diagrams suggest a bad ground, but that can't be if the check engine light has to come of first, before any intermittent operation occurs.

In addition my key-in ignition switch does not work unless I press hard on the key, so I am going to change out the ignition switch, but I just can't see how this has anything to do with this problem.

It just makes no sense. Can anyone help?

Old 11-16-2014, 07:58 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

I had problems with my 99 and have been through the pcm and the ctm. My problem started with a bad ground and wiped both out. If you are figuring on a bad ground, I would say to fix that would be an obvious start. Mine did get better after fixing the ground but still had an occasional no bus error. I replaced to pcm and it would run but the abs light stayed on, and it had odd issues with the interior and exterior lights. The ctm finally went out completely and my headlights would stay on and the warning chime would continuously ding until the battery died. It is surprising at all of the things it controls. The abs light went off and the other issues are straightened out, but I was still amazed at how a simple ground issue could cause so much trouble.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:44 AM
zimmer28

Thanks a lot for the reply, kissmymagnum. I'm an electrical guy by trade and education. I went through the schematics in the FSM. There is only one ground point that is shared between the CTM, and TCCM. I ohm'd that out with my Fluke meter and it is good for both the CTM, and the TCCM. The dealer wanted a lot more than what I paid for my Durango. And the only way I got it so cheap was that his mechanic buddies couldn't fix the TCCM. They did some weird drb scan and I remember him mentioning no bus. They changed out the TCCM twice (with used ones of course). I did verify with my engine bay wiring to the pcm that I do have the NGC wiring system. I bought the truck this way with no working 4x4. not sure what no bus means. I know I can make that stupid motor on that transfer case work with a toggle switch and build a 7805 pwr supply to run the stupid leds to read the encoder. Putting a computer in a TCCM is the dumbest thing I have seen yet. But that is another story. I have checked all of the pins too on the CTM and TCCM for connections. It makes no sense. I'll look at the pcm....it's not like I've got anything to lose at this point with our first snow on the ground already. I need 4wd, and I need it now.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:41 PM
zimmer28

Had a typo above. My wiring system is JTEC. had them mixed up in my head.

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango, problems with 4wd and CTM