1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Is this a ball joint issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 AM
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a ball joint issue?

Over the last year I have noticed that the front wheels keep gaining more negative camber and within the last couple months it has started wearing down the insides of the front tires pretty fast.

I would think that that would be the ball joints, but could it be something else that I should look at?

Last edited by SyntheticBlinkerFluid; 12-01-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:32 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Weak springs/struts/shocks....

Old 12-02-2014, 03:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be a number of things, from bushings to tie rods. Take it an and have it "shook down" and see if anyone can find the weak link.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:18 PM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur

Hello,
I had simular problem, Put new tie rods in, shocks whole hubs. Tire's still wearing on the inside. Mine fronts were even inner ware. The control arm bushings were shot on both sides. I could just change the whole control arm itself, which came with new bushings and top ball joint. For me I just changed the bushings. Its a real pain, i used a press to change bushings. See i had replaced everything in the front without even looking at the control arm bushings. So for me it was just buying the bushing set. After i replaced bushings, had it aligned and its great now. So good luck, look at top control arm bushings. I think they go for about $125.00 with the upper ball joint. You also just by the bushings from Energy Suspension ... http://www.energysuspensionparts.com
Sixpack...

Old 01-01-2015, 05:01 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats all wear parts, periodic replacement. When mine shows any issues up front, I plan to just swap out the control arms and ball joints rather than try to piece through what might be causing it.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Compactc9
Veteran

My truck had the ball joints replaced under the recall, but about a year and a half ago maybe while driving I had to hit the brakes kinda hard, this resulted in a clink noise and a serious pull to the right. The joints the dealer had installed weren't any better than the recalled ones in my estimation. We decided to have a shop my dad trusted do the work since they'd be doing the needed alignment as well. I chose Moog ball joints that I can grease. The big thing is that these trucks are at the age where these wear parts are now wearing out. Have it looked over really well, and be prepared to change out the various wear parts in the front.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll keep my opinion of the front end design to myself in these considering it's a family friendly site.....LOL

Quick Reply: Is this a ball joint issue?