1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9 -won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 PM
AmandaBiggs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9 -won't start

I drove to the grocery store went inside for 20 min, back out of the parking space, turned out of the aisle, stopped at a stop sign, and the truck just shut off. There was no warning...just off. Now it won't start. It turns over, but it won't start. My brother came to help me, but couldn't do much considering it is dark, raining, and 30 degrees out. From the little time he spent trying to get it to start, he said the engine doesn't appear to be getting gas. There is no pressure/resistance on the gas pedal. I just want this car to run. I have spent quite a bit getting it running (was overheating) and legal (wasn't passing emissions due to hole in vacuum line). I just registered today (it's been sitting in my driveway for about 2 yrs), and now this. Any ideas what it could be? Really hoping it's something easy/inexpensive. It only has 95,000 miles.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well first off you should take the air hat off, look at the throttle blades, and make sure the pedal is operating them. Then verify that the fuel pump is running, you should hear it prime when you turn the key on.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:10 PM
AmandaBiggs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel pump is working and throttle blades too. I had it towed to a shop and they are saying I need a new computer. I'm sure they know more than me but I have been got by a shop too many times to be too trusting. Does that that sound right? I don't know if it makes a difference but 3 days before the stall, I had the vacuum line replaced due to an evap leak. The line that went from the tank to the charcoal canister.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:14 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Usually when the computer goes it will give you a no bus error on the dash. It's probably something to do with the IAC on the throttle body or maybe even the crankshaft position sensor.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1

Have them check fuel pressure and spark, it doesn't sound like it would be a computer (PCM) quite yet.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9 -won't start