1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

PCM REPLACMENT NEEDED ON DURANGO

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:04 PM
99dodgedriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM REPLACMENT NEEDED ON DURANGO

I have also listed this question on dodgetalk.com. Over the past 6 months my 99 Durango started intermittently shutting down while driving. I took it into the dealership more than 3 times and they could not duplicate nor identify the problem. About 2 weeks ago it shut down and did not immediately re-start as it did on previous occassions. It was deternined that the PCM needed replacing. My new mechanic and a member of dodgetalk.com identified the problem. Evidently the PCM needed, is in such a huge demand it's on back-order, the mechanic has no idea when it will be in. It's going on 3 weeks now, I have been renting a car since my D went down. I wanted to share my experience w/others just in case you may be experiencing the same problem, and I also wanted to know if anyone knew where else I might be able to get the PCM needed.
SIGNED: DESPERATE IN ALEXANDRIA VA

Old 04-08-2004, 05:27 PM
dodgefreak
All Star
Default RE: PCM REPLACMENT NEEDED ON DURANGO

May I suggest a...oh wait..you already know...LOL

Old 04-30-2004, 09:27 PM
mtroute

wrecking yard?

Old 04-30-2004, 10:17 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once a PCM has the vehicle ID burned in it cannot be used in another vehicle, this applies to pretty much anything built since 1998 or so. The early OBDII stuff you could get away with it because the PCM was the only real module in most cases. Everything now has multiple modules and all have the VIN so if 1 is wrong all the others set faults. Buy a new one at the dealer.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:46 AM
durangoblonde

Hi,
I have the same problem....I just found someone on Ebay selling rebuilt ones for 275, with a 1 yr 12000 warranty-much better than what the dealer charges!

Old 08-09-2005, 03:50 PM
btrotter

Found this while doing a search. My 99 Durango SLT 5.2l is doing the exact same thing. Took it in to the dealer and their prognosis was....you guessed it... needs a new PCM. They want over $600 for a new one. Will be looking for a used/reman one myself.

Quick Reply: PCM REPLACMENT NEEDED ON DURANGO