1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

smog / computer chip problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:36 AM
kc111
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog / computer chip problem

Hi again.
I live in California and our smog testing is due. Our 2000 Durango will not pass because the check engine light is ALWAYS on. Apparently the owner before us had broken the check engine light and cluster and when we replaced the cluster we found that the light was always on. We were told by our (former) mechanic that we have the wrong computer chip installed. ? We were also told that this computer chip is no longer made and can only be found used, and we'd be lucky to find one for less than $800. Everything about our truck is FINE. we've done so much work on it recently and resolved many issues. We've checked for leaking lines, etc. if it weren't for this piece, we know we could pass smog. What can we do? were we given wrong information on the piece? Is it something we could replace here at home, or hell no?
Finally, we were turned away at a smog place just because they said they cant even run a smog with the light on, so we have no "fail" paperwork to give to the dmv for an extension. now i cant drive my perfectly maintained, drives-like-a-beast truck. any ideas?
thanks in advance yall.
kacey

Old 03-11-2015, 02:47 AM
dxloat
Veteran

You need to get the codes read that are causing the cel before you can even begin to diagnose it. As far as the chip the mechanic was talking about I can guess he means a Mopar performance PCM. I don't think they make it anymore but you can get a regular brain box instead if you have to, but that will have to be programmed by a dealer or someone that has access to a DRB tool. My advice to you is to get a second opinion on the "chip" issue.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Yes, get the code read first. Get that fixed, then worry about the "chip".

Old 03-11-2015, 09:44 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

And if all they do is look to see if the light is on, someone "unscrupulous" might find that the light can't be seen if the bulb would happen to be removed.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:26 AM
kc111

Thank you all for such a rapid response. We've tried diagnosing the truck before when we had run into other problems, but the codes that come up don't exist for our truck. We were told that this too was caused by that computer issue. Total bummer too because our truck is perfect. I'd hate to have it go downhill after letting someone touch it. Also, I'm going to look into seeing what a dealership can do for us. Otherwise I'll be out to find a blind smog guy!
Thanks again yall

Old 03-12-2015, 12:01 PM
dxloat
Veteran

If the codes you are getting don't exist for your truck then I would have to say you probably don't have the proper computer in the truck to begin with or whoever told you the codes don't exist for your truck dosen't know what they are talking about. Sounds like a second opinion from the dealer or large shop is the best way to go. A good way to tell if a shop is qualified to make this diagnosis is to find out if they have a DRB scan tool specifically. The DRB scan tool is several thousand dollars not just a cheap scan tool that you can buy at the autoparts store so pretty much only dealers and large shops have them. The DRB tool is the only scan tool that can do and check certain things that the others don't. Be cautious as I have seen several shop managers in smaller shops say they have the DRB when asked but in fact they only have a regular consumer grade tool. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Whose "diagnosing" and telling you the codes dont exist? What were the codes? Who told you it is a computer issue?

Quick Reply: smog / computer chip problem