1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Just got a 2000 Durango SLT at Auction

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:22 AM
mortonarts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, last night I started the Durango up and took it for a short spin. It is missing really badly right now with the new plugs in. I barely got it home. I got it parked and then went down to schucks and got an inline spark tester. I will put that on tonight and see what the spark plug wires look like. I am hoping that I just have a bad plug wire. Tomorrow I plan to run to the junk yard and grab a iac valve, a camshaft sensor, and a crankshaft sensor. I also plan to clean the throttle body this weekend and maybe replace the iac. I am starting to worry a bit on this.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:28 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you looked at the cap and rotor? Coil? Out of those sensors you listed crank position would probably be the most likely to cause an issue like you're having.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:29 PM
dxloat
Veteran

I am not trying to be rude but are you the type that removes all the plug wires before you pull the plugs or do you replace them one at a time? If you are the all at once type double check the firing order you put the wires back in. I have seen several people over the years mix a couple wires up accidentally when replacing the plugs.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:49 PM
mortonarts

Originally Posted by dxloat
I am not trying to be rude but are you the type that removes all the plug wires before you pull the plugs or do you replace them one at a time? If you are the all at once type double check the firing order you put the wires back in. I have seen several people over the years mix a couple wires up accidentally when replacing the plugs.
Lol. My wife asked the same thing. I did each one one at a time and put the plug wire back on. If they are messed up it is due to the last guy that worked on them. I have it at Buckys now getting the abs info looked at. Trying to find out if it is a sensor or if it is the module.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:54 AM
mortonarts

Well, On Saturday I had some time to dig into that car. I found out that the Calipers, and rotors, and pads needed sorted out on the front. The ABS Module needs replaced. and I still have to do the O2 Sensor. Depending on if it is raining I may do some of that tomorrow. The ABS module I will probably strip down and cut the RTV and take the board into a friend of mine that is a an Electrical Engineer to tell me which solder joints need to be re done. Hopefully that will take care of that. I swapped out the IAC valve and it seems to be doing better. It doesn't seem to be miss firing any more. I only took it on a little test drive. Not sure if that was a good enough test. I need a good picture of where the O2 sensor goes. I am not finding much out there for that.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 PM
mortonarts

Well, I finally got in there and looked at the O2 sensor. It took me about a half hour to get the plug off and then I could not break free the o2 sensor. It is soaking in Penetrating oil right now. I also found out that the C clip on the 4 wheel drive selector is gone. I will need to take it off and go match it up and replace it.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:53 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The best way I've found to remove o2 sensors is to heat them up with a torch and then quench them with a soaking wet rag.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 PM
mortonarts

Well, today I got the O2 sensor sorted out and took it out for a couple of spins. It drove very smoothly. Finally feel like I am making progress on it. I also fixed the Window washer reservoir leak as well. Tonight I pull the ABS mod and hopefully I will get that patched up tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
mortonarts

Well, I took out the ABS module and after about 2 hours messing with it I got the board out of it. My buddy is looking at it now to see if there are any bad parts or bad solder joints. I really hope this works. If it does it is on to the power steering pump. I have never done one of those before. It should be interesting.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:29 PM
mortonarts

I got the ABS fixed last night . I found a guy near by that was parting out the same year Durango and I got his ABS unit and power Steering pump. Got them both for 140. If it isn't pouring tonight I will try to do the power steering pump. Then all that is left is a brake job and the Multi switch(The lights are not working).

Quick Reply: Just got a 2000 Durango SLT at Auction