1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

blend door issue maybe ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:43 PM
mg34.42
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blend door issue maybe ?

when I set the heat to floor only I am getting air out of the defroster and the floor if I move the control slowly I can I can eventually get it to come out of the floor only could this be a blend door actuator issue and also I have a bit of warm air coming out of the vents with the ac off
benny

Old 03-25-2015, 03:26 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

What year?

Old 03-28-2015, 01:09 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a similar issue. Turned out one of my vacuum lines was disconnected. This would only apply to the 98-00 durangos I believe.

+1 What year.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:50 PM
mg34.42
Amateur

it is a 2003

Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 PM
70Cuda4Speed
Amateur

A 2003 would have electronic controls. Your problem is with the mode doors. Blend door simply blends heated and cooled air to the temperature you select.

The mode door actuator is on the driver's side of the hvac central unit. Just a little up from the lower edge of the dash. The actuator is connected to a cam-wheel that's about 2 or 3 inches in diameter. There's an extension arm that tracks in a cam groove and reaches up high to control a door for the defroster. There are other arms that track in other grooves to control the other duct doors. Fair warning-taking the actuator and cam out can result in a real PIA getting it all back together right, but it's do able. Try to position the control at one end of its range (watch the wheel rotate as you vary the mode ****) and don't bump the arms on the back side of the wheel when you remove the actuator. You may need to clean and re-grease your cam wheel, or may have a bad actuator.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:56 PM
dhart06

I have a 2006 Durango. I turned the a/c on and something started loadly knocking under the passenger side dash. I turned the a/c off and tried turning it back on to see if it would continue knocking and the a/c wont come on but works fine in the back. It has separate controls though. Can you help me please?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:22 PM
dhart06
Default 2006 Dodge Durango

I have a 2006 Durango. I turned the a/c on and something started loadly knocking under the passenger side dash. I turned the a/c off and tried turning it back on to see if it would continue knocking and the a/c wont come on but works fine in the back. It has separate controls though. Can you help me please

Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 PM
70Cuda4Speed
Amateur

I'm not really sure what might be going on. When I had the problem with the rear ac unit, it was pretty clear what had happened - there is an adapter/coupling between the blend door actuator and the door itself, and this coupling has a lug formed into it that is supposed to stop rotation. Well, the lug wore out/broke off, which led to the actuator motor over-rotating the blend door and causing it to break when it contacted something solid within the ac housing. That kind of thing could be the source of your noise and problem.

I don't know much about the front system blend doors. If they have a similar arrangement, then perhaps a failure similar to what I had is causing the noise and loss of temperature control that you're having?

A few things you might check. The front system has two blend door systems, one each for the passenger and driver's sides. Are you able to get any temperature control from either side? Can you get at least one side to cool down with the AC switched on? Also, as far as heat goes, are you able to adjust the heat on either side, like from simply warm to hot?

Quick Reply: blend door issue maybe ?