1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

14.7 Volts Every Where?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:05 PM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14.7 Volts Every Where?

Happy Easter to all who celebrate.To who dont, have a good day as well.
I have a question on voltage on my durango. First it's a 2002 Dodge Durango, The 4.7, and 45RFE SLT.
Ok, I want to install new CB radio. So I was checking wires with multi meter, set on 20 volt. I found 12 constant on steering column, along with ignition wire and accessory wires. Found all i needed.
Now my question is, When the Durango is running, Everything is 14.5 to 14.7 volts. Light terminals, 12 volt accessory plugs (ALL). Now I know when Durango is running 14. 6 or 7 volts to charge battery is normal. Is the 14 volts supposed to be through the whole vehicle?
When I test wires on the column there all 14 volts, I thought that is just for the alternator to charge battery, not run through everything.
Might I have a bad ground somewhere?
Any Advice any help, any suggestions, I would be greatfull.
Thank You
Sixpack....

Old 04-05-2015, 01:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Should be fine.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:31 PM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur

Thank You Jkeaton for reading my question. Thank you for your answer, and I will Install the radio.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:40 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sixpack.mitchell
Thank You Jkeaton for reading my question. Thank you for your answer, and I will Install the radio.

First i would say that i agree with Jkeaton, you should be fine....

second a little advice on installing the CB in the Durango. Run the correct gauge wire from the battery directly to your radio (with a fuse in there somewhere of course). When i installed mine years ago i went though a royal nightmare with SWR and getting the electrical noise out of the radios speakers. Before i could not get a SWR under 2.0 after running a direct wire to the battery i no longer have the electrical noise and my SWR dropped to 1.2 on 1 and 1.0 on 40.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:56 AM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur

Thank You Old_School,
Your advice is a great addition to my post. I'm Installing today, and I will run the power and ground to the battery. Instruction was to the ignition, which I personally don't like because of the little power surges you get from turning on the vehicle. I watch my radio everytime I turn on the vehicle, kinda dose a double blink LOL. I was going to use a Toggle switch before, now connecting to battery just seems easier.
Thank You once again.
Six..

Old 04-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Thank You Old_School,
Your advice is a great addition to my post. I'm Installing today, and I will run the power and ground to the battery. Instruction was to the ignition, which I personally don't like because of the little power surges you get from turning on the vehicle. I watch my radio everytime I turn on the vehicle, kinda dose a double blink LOL. I was going to use a Toggle switch before, now connecting to battery just seems easier.
Thank You once again.
Six..
I would do a toggle switch even with wiring direct to the battery. first it will save where are tear on the one internally in the radio and second you wont have to keep adjusting the volume. I also installed the fuse right at the positive terminal that way it had easy access should it blow.

May i ask what radio and antenna you chose? also plan on installing the antenna? could give you a lot of good info i went through with that too.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:23 AM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur

To Old_School,
I have a Uniden BEARCAT (980SSB). The antenna is a Firestik (5') with SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring. I.m mounting it on the drivers side fender. I will Install the toggle switch as you recommended, thank you.
Six..

The Radio that has a little byte.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

To Old_School,
I have a Uniden BEARCAT (980SSB). The antenna is a Firestik (5') with SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring. I.m mounting it on the drivers side fender. I will Install the toggle switch as you recommended, thank you.
Six..

The Radio that has a little byte.

That radio is awesome, you will really like it. Even better paired with the Wireless Mic. I started out with the 880 to now the 980. I would not let any CB shop talk you into a "Peek and Tune" with that radio. Comes from the factory pretty well setup but if you must i would only trust Doug @ Custom CB Radios dot com.....

As far as the antenna the Firestick in the fender will get you a ok range, but a Wilson 1000 roof mount will get you the full potential of the radio and is mounted of the best surface to handle they radio waves.

http://www.cheapham.com/wilson-1000-...meter-antenna/

Last edited by Old_School; 04-09-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:51 PM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur

Hey OLD_School,
I will look into the Wilson 1000 roof mount, I alway thought that might be to tall on the top. I'm going to check everything out tomorrow in the radio. I cant wait, alot of great reviews for this radio. I saw another Durango with the fender mount and it looked good. I wasn't think about performance LOL. Like when a nice Durango with a 4" lift goes by, and you say boy that would look good on mine haha.
Thanks for all your advice and help I'll be back monday with a report and picture of the radio.
Have good weekend
Sixpack..........

Now this is a Durango................

Old 04-13-2015, 09:12 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Hey OLD_School,
I will look into the Wilson 1000 roof mount, I alway thought that might be to tall on the top. I'm going to check everything out tomorrow in the radio. I cant wait, alot of great reviews for this radio. I saw another Durango with the fender mount and it looked good. I wasn't think about performance LOL. Like when a nice Durango with a 4" lift goes by, and you say boy that would look good on mine haha.
Thanks for all your advice and help I'll be back monday with a report and picture of the radio.
Have good weekend
Sixpack..........

Now this is a Durango................
I think you will be okay with a roof mount. Even if clearance does present a issue in some situations the coil on the 1000 screws off and they include a weather cap to put on.

Quick Reply: 14.7 Volts Every Where?