1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 dodge Durango ac problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:41 PM
jzimmerman809
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 dodge Durango ac problem

Hi my wife has a 98 dodge Durango with the 5.2 I have an issue somewhere in the a/c. I have really cold air in the back but the front is not cold at all. It blows really well its just not cold. I pulled the dash and checked the blend air door and they seem to be working. I mean they move up and down when I turn the dials. Not sure what is considered open or closed. I used a recharge kit and still nothing? I can hear the compressor kick on as well. Please help me out. Jon

Old 07-03-2015, 02:48 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

not sure if this truck uses a orfice tube or txv for metering refrigerant. I would feel the inlet and outlet hoses near the ot/txv. With the system running, the inlet should be hot and outlet cold. this tells you the ot/txv is working properly and the problem may be an air distribution problem or air flow problem through the evaporator.
if the temp is the same at the pipes in/out of the txv/ot; the tube may be plugged or the txv stuck closed

Old 07-03-2015, 02:54 PM
jzimmerman809

I was told by O'Riley auto parts that this truck does not have an orfice tube. What is a txv?

Old 07-03-2015, 04:59 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It's an expansion valve (txv). It's mounted against the firewall on the passengers side. Just follow the a/c lines. Just be very careful with the screws if you're removing it. Some genius decided it was a good idea to use steel screws in aluminum, and if they break off you're either in for some creative fabrication like I had to do, or replacing the evaporator.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:04 PM
jzimmerman809

Ok and what if it is still charged with freon. Is that all gonna cone spraying out

Old 07-03-2015, 05:26 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes it will if you open it. The correct way to deal with that is to have a shop recover the refrigerant, but there are "other" ways such as cracking open a fitting when noone's looking. You're going to have to pull a vacuum on the system after replacing the part and then recharge it. Both of those require a manifold gauge set to do properly.

Quick Reply: 98 dodge Durango ac problem