1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Durango 4.7/sluggish with no power

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM
jasn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Durango 4.7/sluggish with no power

Hello All,
First the specifics: I own a 2003 Dodge Durango 4.7 4WD. I was running fine or so I thought, until one day as I was slowing down to make a turn into a store parking lot the truck completely shut off. 5 hours later I return and it starts up but runs horribly with no power and wanting to stall every time I need to stop.

So far, I have replaced the battery, TPS, Idle Air control valve, and the spark plugs. The Idle Air Control Valve replacement allowed me to get the truck running, but it is idling all over the place and when I took it for a short spin it has no power. I am 4 days away from being able to use computer to get new codes and was hoping to get some ideas of what I may be possibly able to do before that time. Thanks for your help!

Jason

Old 07-22-2015, 03:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Is the check engine light on? If so, there are your clues. You can go by any auto parts store and they can read the codes for you. Or buy a scanner from amazon and have it in 2 days. They are cheap insurance and one of the best tools you can have.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:45 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd give the battery connections a good cleaning (both at the battery and at the other ends) to start with.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:43 PM
jasn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down to one code

Ok, I was able to use a computer and showed 2 codes: P0121 and P0121 again referring to the TPS. I took the new TPS off and noticed the O ring was no longer on it. Also, my previous TPS did not have a gasket but my new one did, so I put it on. Lastly I read something about a paddle being lined up, so I checked that the paddle in the throttle body would fit between the two edges in the TPS when mounted; and they were, thankfully, because neither seemed to want to be adjusted. The harness fit snug and looked clean. Also, the OLD idle air control valve was pretty much covered with black dust inside and out when I replaced it. I am assuming that they may be a sign that the throttle body may need to be taken off and cleaned?
Again, thanks for any help.

Oh, I also made sure the battery terminals and connections were clean and tight.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:15 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body. It is possible that your new TPS could be bad, especially if it was a cheap one. Not sure what your code reader does, but with my bluetooth one that connects to my phone I can see what values the TPS is sending to the computer.

Quick Reply: 2003 Durango 4.7/sluggish with no power