1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission rebuild time

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 10:13 AM
duran-go
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission rebuild time

Hello all,

It's time to finally replace my transmission, I've been without second gear going on 3 years. I have a '99 Durango 2WD 5.2 44RE. There's a guy in my area that's parting out a 2000 Durango (it runs and drives with 193,000 miles, he wants the frame and suspension for some reason) and I plan on rebuilding it and swapping it in place of mine. I've rebuilt engines and differentials but never a transmission, I'd love to get back in the garage and learn something new.

The Durango is my DD and I will not be modding the engine for more power but at the same time, I wouldn't mind building the transmission up a little so I will never have to worry about it again. What are the must have parts for rebuilding one of these 44RE's? Alto clutches and Kolene steels? Transgo shift kit/reprogrammer? Is there anything that is a must do since I'll be having the transmission out such as replace all the solenoids and pressure switches? Do the mod to have fluid circulate in park/remove the drain back valve?

I read Old_School's sticky and have the ATSG book on it's way but I didn't find much information on simple and cheap must do mods for the 44RE. There seems to be tons of info out there on the 46/48/518/618 mods but I don't know what carries over to this smaller transmission.

I've looked at Oregon Performance Transmissions, PATC, Makco, and eBay at rebuild kits but I don't really know what's necessary.

Also on the to do list is replace the freeze plugs in the back of the block since one is weeping but that's neither here nor there.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild time