1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Trailer wiring 99 durango

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Mat Holland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring 99 durango

Hey guys. So this durango I picked up has me curious. I'm coming from the jeep world so not familiar with these at all.

Anyway when I bought the jeep I saw a receiver and the 7 pin trailer plug. Well after I got home with it I noticed that there was no wires going to the plug. It kind of confused me because it was a Chrysler 7 pin plug and I figured it was factory. Upon looking some more in the back of the jeep inside where the jack goes I saw a 4 pin plug. It has a box that I've used in jeeps that is connected to the tail lights. That's fine and dandy but I need a 7 pin and I was wanting to hook my brake controller up.

My wj had a blue wire from the factory to tap into underneath the steering wheel. Is that like this on these durangos? Did the previous owner unhook the 7 pin plug from somewhere if it is factory? How do I go about getting this 7 pin plug wired back up and getting it hooked up to a brake controller? I'm capable of doing it i have just never had to do hook up a 7 pin plug and run a wire for the brake controller

Old 10-24-2015, 09:33 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If it had the factory tow package there should be a connector for a brake controller under the dash somewhere.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Mat Holland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...

I got a hold of Dodge and got the build sheet and there is not any mention of a tow package....I stumbled across some other information on getting a 7 pin hooked up...I have to have a 4 pin plug and I can buy a new universal 7 pin and the 4 pin goes to the back of it as well as a ground and there is a wire for a brake controller so I am good.

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring 99 durango