Roof Rack Bars To REPLACE Stock

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:05 PM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Roof Rack Bars To REPLACE Stock

Hi guys,

I have a 2000 durango with the stock roof bars running driver to passenger side. I want to upgrade the bars to something stronger and flat so I can carry some long trim mouldings from the big box store.

I am going to be adding a T-Load Hitch or Goalpost hitch to give me that third point to load on.

Question is what fits our durangos? Checking out the websites, they all say if I have the factory rails that run front to back, which ours don't. I have never seen a 1st generation with bars like that.

Anyways hoping someone with some knowledge can shed some light here. I am hoping that I get a set of thules or rhino-rack bars and they plug right into the factory hook in rail.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anything you mount to the stock roof side rails aren't far enough apart to adequately hold floppy moldings. The rack type won't help that. You'd be better off bungeeing/mounting a couple PVC pipes to the stock bars and putting the molding inside those.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:42 PM
fcastro
Professional

Probably should have mentions its pvc trim boards. Something like 18' x 1" x 5".

I am thinking about adding a hitch to my front and putting up in a goal post hitch similar to this.

Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack Bars To REPLACE Stock-goal-post-hitch-c31054_aa.jpg  
Old 05-05-2016, 12:10 AM
JeeperDon
All Star

Rent one of their trucks.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:51 AM
fcastro
Professional

Ok, well obviously I trying to find an answer to my original question and not looking for dumb suggestions on here.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:46 AM
JeeperDon
All Star

Originally Posted by fcastro
Ok, well obviously I trying to find an answer to my original question and not looking for dumb suggestions on here.
You never said this was an ongoing project, wrote it up as just a one time haul. As such, I just pointed out your 'I have to use my Durango, make it work no matter what!', is likely not the best approach.

Good luck with your adventure.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:42 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Honestly I would borrow a car trailer from someone, less likely to damage the boards. Just plan out everything so you hopefully only have to make one trip with it. To answer you question I can't say that I have seen any aftermarket racks for these.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Bars To REPLACE Stock