1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear End issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:13 AM
mzlou1227
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Ram Van 1500
It sounds like there are a few issues to be handled. Do one thing at a time, road test, and go to the next item. If you do too many things at once, you'll not know what corrected what. Keep us posted when you can. The updates are the best education for someone else that is experiencing similar problems. Thanks!
Yea, my poor baby is sickly, but you are right, I will take it one at a time. It's also cheaper that way

Old 07-11-2016, 05:00 PM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur

By any chance do you have a 2 piece driveshaft with a center bearing?

If you do, check out this repair guide on their website: www.autozone.com/

Click on the area that reads "repair help" in the orange bar across the top of their page. I entered your info. I didn't think that 2 piece driveshafts were used in a short vehicle like yours, unlike a school bus or truck would use them.

If you do have this setup, check out their information. That may be your vibration. I was thinking that you had loose u-joints and or clamps with a one piece shaft. You may have a loose/worn center bearing or an adjustment needs to be made, or both.

This doesn't reflect on the brake issue though! One step at a time.

By the way, I was doing some research on my own 02 Dodge Ram Van on the Autozone website and found quite a bit of detailed repair info. Much more than other sites have.

Hope this helps some.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:20 PM
mzlou1227

Originally Posted by 02 Ram Van 1500
By any chance do you have a 2 piece driveshaft with a center bearing?

If you do, check out this repair guide on their website: www.autozone.com/

Click on the area that reads "repair help" in the orange bar across the top of their page. I entered your info. I didn't think that 2 piece driveshafts were used in a short vehicle like yours, unlike a school bus or truck would use them.

If you do have this setup, check out their information. That may be your vibration. I was thinking that you had loose u-joints and or clamps with a one piece shaft. You may have a loose/worn center bearing or an adjustment needs to be made, or both.

This doesn't reflect on the brake issue though! One step at a time.

By the way, I was doing some research on my own 02 Dodge Ram Van on the Autozone website and found quite a bit of detailed repair info. Much more than other sites have.

Hope this helps some.
Wow. Thanks so much. It looks like a single piece. I shook it earlier today and the whole thing moved. Like where it goes into the I think the 4wd housing. The bolts were loose where it goes into the 4wd housing? I think that's what it is. In any case the WHOLE THING shook. I finally took it today and asked the guy to look at it and told him that I thought it was the driveshaft. Hopefully he will see u know a little about vehicles to where he won't frame me.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:03 AM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur

Good luck with any needed repairs and that they are inexpensive as well. Keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Rear End issues?