PCM replacement and program

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 02:10 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by foamhand
Glad you had aftermarket luck. I went thru 5 PCM's, 2 from All Computer Resources which were both bad right out of the box (Original and Exchange)...do not go with these guys ever! 2 from O'reillys...1st bad out of the box...exchange worked but engine died when PCM got hot. finally got sick and tired of the fight and went with the Dodge $1000 PCM. It worked for 6 months and then getting the P1762 hell code. Having a tranny shop fix some bad wiring at the trans harness didn't fix it. Servicing the internal solenoids and pressure sensors didn't fix it. Looks like I'll get to see just how good the Dodge PCM warranty really is. I have a feeling they will try and find a loophole and I hope I don't have to lawyer up.

This is why I steer people away from the online outfits. No, this is not typical results, YES it's cheaper to have it plug and play, BUT the fact that you have to mail the stupid thing back and forth eats the hell out of people's valuable time.

I had to talk to one of these people on the phone a couple times on behalf of customers. One of them being on their 3rd PCM. There was this nubb that tried to tell me that they test ALL of their PCMs before they send them out on specially rigged apparatuses for every possible vehicle. I told him he was full of $hit and other things during our 2 conversations over 3 days. The reman facility doesn't even have that. I still get bad PCMs, sometimes 2 or 3 in a row, even from Mopar. So, to risk the online companies is a serious gamble.

The fact is they want your $$$ and if you have more than one troubled PCM, they hope they can just frustrate and ignore you away.

foamhand.....As for Mopar, you have a parts and labor warranty. If you have more than 3 bad ones, then STAR tech support needs to be involved. They CAN get a new one sent instead of a rebuilt if your truck is not too old. If you would like to resolve your issue, start a new thread with all of the details.

Originally Posted by BryanLZ
I am a little nervous about the finish though. Like I said in my post above, my replacement literally looked like it came from a junkyard, so I am not sure about the "remanufacturing" of their PCM's. Of course, it's the quality of the inside that counts. I guess it doesn't need to be pretty on the outside.

I have seen this "PETINA" look they have. Your suspicions may be grounded in fact lol. As JeeperDon said earlier, the one you have hasn't been flashed more than likely. Don't get it the software updated. Back in the day, we moved the ignition coil to the firewall and used a short coil wire to get rid of the symptoms the flash was supposed to fix. A non-sanctioned modification BTW hehe

Last edited by TNtech; 08-21-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:11 PM
foamhand
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks TNTech...New thread under I'm Baaaaaack...

Thanks for the info. I have an appointment with Dodge Service on Thursday morning and I have all the notes from our local (formerly AAMCO) trans shop. They state in big letters that 5.3v+ on C2 pin 29 IS WRONG...A short to sensor voltage exists on pin 29 C2 PCM. Of course dodge said they have to do their own evaluation and cannot take another shops word for something, but he did say if this is correct they would replace the PCM and waive the $95. diagnostic fee. My durango is a 2000 5.9l 4wd SLT. Probably too old for finding a new pcm even thru STAR Tech support.

I will post developments under the Well, I'm Baaaaack thread I started.

I appreciate your help. Thank You.

foamhand

Last edited by foamhand; 08-22-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added info.

Quick Reply: PCM replacement and program