1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What is this sound?

Old 10-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Chris F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this sound?

Can someone please help me figure out what this sound is? It only happens after I back over something like a driveway curb and then stop. It will continue to make the sound while stopped and the gear selector is in reverse. It does not make the sound in any other gear while stopped. It will stop making the sound if I drive it forward. After driving it forward if I put it in reverse it will not make the sound. Only makes noise when I go over a bump in reverse and come to a stop.

Hard to explain the scenario. Hopefully this helps.

1) Drive normally. Stop. Reverse over curb. Stop. Foot on brake. Noise in reverse gear. No noise in any other gear.

2) Drive normally. Stop. Reverse with no bumps/curbs. Stop. Foot on brake. No noise in in any gear.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like possibly a lose or a cracked flexplate.. in order to check you will need to remove the dust shield ( torque converter dust shield and inspect the flexplate for cracks or lose bolts). Unfortunately you only can see the outer bolts that connect the flexplate to the torque converter..
Most of the time it's the inner bolts that the cracks usually start (( flexplate to crank) and if that is the problem you will need to pull the engine or drop the tranny..

Old 10-05-2016, 11:59 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My vote is for flexplate also

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is this sound?