1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Hot air on driver side when AC is on.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Toni1977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot air on driver side when AC is on.

A day ago I took my car in to have the heating core replaced. They suggested that I also have the AC evaporator replaced since they already have the dash open in the AC evaporator does go out on the Durango is quite often. After replacing the heating core I noticed that the driver side will only blow hot air when my AC was on. Now the mechanic wants to quote me to have that fixed because they say that it may be the blend door or the actuator. My question is when they replace the heating core and the AC evaporator is it possible that it is their fault that now my blend door actuator has gone out. Already spent $1,800 just this month working on my Durango and really can't afford for another repair.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:03 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes it makes sense to replace the evaporator if you're already replacing the heater core and vice versa.

Now if everything worked find before they tore into it (you have to remove the entire dashboard to replace the heater core) I'd say they either broke something or didn't connect it properly. Stay on them about it and demand they make it right for you. Depending on how they respond don't hesitate to threaten legal action.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Toni1977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I did demand that they fix that actuator issue since my AC was working properly before they took apart my dashboard and took their suggestion and replaced the AC evap.The mechanic said he recalibrated it? Its working now....I get cold air with the AC on for the driver and passenger vents. Is this a temporary fix?? I asked what if that didn't work later on. They gAve me a 12 month warranty and he said he'll pay the labor I pay the part if they have to replace it.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:46 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It sounds like you've got an 01-03 with the electronic HVAC, so I have no idea there. I think I vaguely remember hearing about recalibrating before, so it might be good.