1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 durango 5.9 4x4 no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 12:16 AM
drjohnsom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 99 durango 5.9 4x4 no start issue

Hey guys,

What I have going on I think I have pretty well figured out. However since I am not a auto mechanic I would like to see your ideas on my diagnostic conclusion.

I have a 99 Durango 5.9 4x4 with 237k. What's going on is I have a no start and no bus issue. This problem started a year ago and has progressively gotten worse in that time. When the no start no bus started I could restart the truck by unplugging the c1/c2/c3 plugs on the pcm and reconnecting them. However now I am left with a consistent no start no bus, and had to tow the truck home to my driveway.

The symtoms that I am having at this time is a no bus in the odo. No gauges (temp, volt, and fuel). Problem always happens after short drive when engine is is still warming up. Will turn vehicle off and vehicle will not restart. I will hear relays click and fuel pump start. Engine will crank and not fire. After odo will read no bus and will get a check engine light at the same time as no bus flashes.

At this time I have checked all wiring and connectors. Cleaned all connections in engine bay. Checked all grounds. I have checked and confirmed 5v reference at crank sensor, cam sensor, tps, map, and gps. Found no bad sensors. Checked cluster codes and 920, 921, 999.

Am I correct in assuming the pcm is toast? Is there any other things I should Check?

Thank