1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Opinion time (tires)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:57 AM
CRAZY MIKE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion time (tires)

Its time for new shoes for the old girl.
2003 R/T OE 17' chrome rims 275 60 17
Not a lot of options in this size. Not sure of a good alternate fit.
Been threw a set of coopers discover HT,Goodyear eagle GT2,and the OE wrangler HP. Been thinking on going with the BFG long trail tour. Just throwing this out here and seeing if anybody had some input. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:50 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My R/T doesn't go on dirt except to pull the trailer with my Jeep on it to get close to the trailhead. I've been using General Grabber HTS for two sets now, since the OEM Goodyears died at 25,000 miles. I'm at 116,000 miles now, so 91,000 on Generals. They have been perfect, zero issues. Apparently they are now called HTS60, have a slightly different tread, not sure what that means.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:39 PM
CRAZY MIKE
Default Generals

Thanks for the info. A co worker has Generals on his Chevy,and they serve him well. They are the older tread pattern not the newer one. I dont get in the dirt much either. Mostly highway.
A lot of the tires in this size are high performance tires. I didnt want any HP tires that would get me in trouble in snow/rain ect. But i didnt want an aggressive A/T tread. Shoting for the middle ground. Was also trying to stay with a tire made in America. But that seems hard to come by. The Coopers I got now were made is US. How ever I have heard they are now made in China.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:33 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If you check tirerack it shows the manufacturing country. Even the same model of tire can be made in a different country for certain sizes. The continental dws06 tires on my Charger (255/50R19) are made in the US, but other sizes show, Czech Republic, Portugal, Germany, Slovakia, and France for some other sizes.

If you would decide to go with an A/T tire, I'd go with a firestone destination a/t or nitto terra grappler.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:07 PM
CRAZY MIKE
Default Continentals?

Yeah I know there made everywhere. The OEM Goodyear tires were made in Canada. How do you like the Continentals on the Charger. I know its not the same type/size tire I am looking for. Consumer Reports gives Continentals
good ratings across the board. Just under Michelin.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:38 AM
that_guy
Champion

It's been a mixed bag for me with them. The tires seem to grip great (both wet and dry), but I've had vibration issues with two different sets of them. They're ok 95% of the time now, but there are a couple speeds where they still have some slight vibration. Continental's customer service is downright awful though, I had a hell of a time getting them to honor their warranty. Here's a link (chargerforum) to how that all went if you're interested: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...818&highlight=

I'm kind of in a boat where I don't have much choice other than the DWS for a good performance all season in the size I need. I know other people that haven't had issues with their continental tires (including the DWS) which makes me wonder if it's something specific to this size of them that is weird.

The factory tires on my Charger were michelin primacys (in 235 width). Now they are a touring tire, but god they were awful for traction. Particularly in the wet, they really sucked.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:19 PM
CRAZY MIKE
Default Contimentals

Just read the Charger link for the the conti tires. You had some great patients in dealing with the vibration issues. I going to pass on the conti tires myself. Quote Sweet Brown "aint no body got time for dat"

Old 05-31-2017, 03:11 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

my family has always run cooper tires on our trucks (including my durango) the current favorite is the cooper at3 (replaced the atr) however it is a more aggresive all terrain tire so it may not be what you are looking for (or it may be one that you didnt like). They also sing quite a tune going down the road on my dads dakota that may or may not bother you.

Originally Posted by that_guy
It's been a mixed bag for me with them. The tires seem to grip great (both wet and dry), but I've had vibration issues with two different sets of them. They're ok 95% of the time now, but there are a couple speeds where they still have some slight vibration. Continental's customer service is downright awful though, I had a hell of a time getting them to honor their warranty. Here's a link (chargerforum) to how that all went if you're interested: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...818&highlight=

I'm kind of in a boat where I don't have much choice other than the DWS for a good performance all season in the size I need. I know other people that haven't had issues with their continental tires (including the DWS) which makes me wonder if it's something specific to this size of them that is weird.

The factory tires on my Charger were michelin primacys (in 235 width). Now they are a touring tire, but god they were awful for traction. Particularly in the wet, they really sucked.
off topic i know but . . .

not sure what size wheels you have on the charger but my r/t challenger w/ the 20s did real well with the cooper rs3-a on it as an all season, i just put a set of rs3-s (summer only) on it in april, they have all been good. Im hoping come next spring i can throw a set of extreme performance tires on it with wider rims (the 245s just arent cutting it for me)

Old 05-31-2017, 03:39 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
off topic i know but . . .

not sure what size wheels you have on the charger but my r/t challenger w/ the 20s did real well with the cooper rs3-a on it as an all season, i just put a set of rs3-s (summer only) on it in april, they have all been good. Im hoping come next spring i can throw a set of extreme performance tires on it with wider rims (the 245s just arent cutting it for me)
The AWDs get 19x7.5 (+55 offset) wheels with 235/55R19 tires stock. I went to a 255/50R19 since the 235 wasn't wide enough. Unfortunately neither of those sizes is very common in the way of performance tires. I don't recall seeing anything by cooper when I was looking for tires.

I think the next time I need tires I'm going to get a set of 20" wheels so I can get more tire options.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:20 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea the 19inch rim is kind of the red-headed step child of performance tires, and wow are those narrow, i thought my 20x8.5s were narrow, im stuck with the 245s, on the 8.5width at least for performance reasons since the 255s bow up in the middle if you put them on such a narrow rim :/ (the low aspect ratio doesnt help that). I think my plan is to get a set of wider rims with my next set of tires but we will see what the $$$ says.