1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Abs and e brake lights on

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 04:12 PM
Jon w
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs and e brake lights on

Just switched out the rear differential in my 2001 Durango. After completion the abs light and e brake light are on. Was not on before switching out differential. Any suggestions to what the problem is would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:06 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Broke a wire, damaged a sensor, etc.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:44 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Usually if its a sensor you just get the abs light. When its both on these, in my personal experience, the abs module is shot. Try the speed senor out of you old differential and go from there.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:52 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right before I swapped the rear end on my 98, I topped the old one off with fluid. When I did, metal shavings coated the sensor and I got no speedo plus the ABS and Brake light. Just some input, don't know if it helps of not.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the speed sensor on the output shaft of the transmission works in conjunction with the speed sensor on the rear differential housing, if either one goes bad and stops reading correctly the abs and brake lights. IIRc one controls the speedo in first gear(or up to a certain speed i dont recall which right now) and the other takes over after that.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there and doing this one on my truck, the ABS/brake light thing that is. I had to replace the ABS module as well as the master cylinder. Who I replaced the cylinder, the new-found pressure showed me I have some very rotten brake hoses, which I am replacing tonight after work. But I agree on the module, if its just a sensor, usually just the ABS light comes on, for my situation I did have to replace the module. Also, a word of extreme caution when replacing the speed sensor on the rear end, make sure you clean the area well before removing the old one, I think something fell in when I did mine, and then trashed the bearings in the rear end, causing Dad and I to spend several weekends rebuilding it with new bearings.