1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 R/T 46RE Reverse Strut issues after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 PM
01RTBill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 R/T 46RE Reverse Strut issues after rebuild

Last year I rebuilt a 4L60E and it rocks!
For this build I went with the Red Eagle/Kolene Steel kit: eBay, item id 270998419914. A Kevlar Reverse band: eBay id 272410968057 along with other upgrades.

I had difficulties when installing the reverse strut (It seemed much too tight) on the bench. It didn't "click" into place like the YouTube video by the Transmission Bench guy -- he really does a great job!

The problem I'm having is the reverse strut fell out while road testing it and it was slightly bent after I pulled it out. I removed the valve body to reinstall the strut but couldn't get it to click into place (it wouldn't go much beyond the lip). I finally made a new one about a .100 shorter that "clicked" into place like all of the YouTube videos. It worked for a few days then reverse started slipping. I readjusted it and it worked for a few days but it is now slipping again. I'm now going to try to get the stock strut into place.

So my question is have anyone had this issue with the reverse strut not fitting right? The New reverse band looked exactly like the old one.

Otherwise the Transmission works really well in all forward gears with extra frictions in each clutch pack and upgraded servos it shifts hard and strong in every gear.