1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake Pad Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 11:10 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by that_guy
No worries. And I do understand why drilled rotors can crack, but I do think that some drilled rotors are of better quality than others. My point is that I think the powerstop ones are better than the delco ones. I would have gone with just slotted if given the choice, but since most people have it in their heads that drilled is better, most companies cater to that and only offer drilled and slotted.Until a panic stop, then you'll notice if they're worse. For me the ceramics couldn't even lock the front wheels (not saying locking them is good, just that they couldn't take full advantage of the grip the tires have) while the EBCs can. Even if it only meant a couple feet of difference to stop, that can be enough to save an accident.
This is very relevant. Mine will not lock up the fronts unless I pump the brakes beforehand. Not a reassuring feeling. Pump the brakes and have a good pedal feel and will lock up but barely. Probably have air in the system. I also have 32" mud tires but it wouldn't lock up the factory 31" highway treads I had before. Every vehicle made should have the ability to lock up tires until abs kicks in (obviously not on the front of mine or most 1st gen durangos) but the power should be there and I've never had a good feeling about this brakes on this truck.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:00 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Been running these TRW ceramics on my Dakota since last year, with no issues. They stop great and are low dusting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Forgot to mention that I'm also running these EBC high carbon slotted rotors, front and back. Pricey but I love the way the truck stops now and my previous Wagner rotors were starting to vibrate. EBC Brakes USR7113 USR Series Sport Slotted Rotor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C958A0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_BzG9MHgf35JFz

Old 07-19-2017, 06:09 AM
imusorka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ended up getting a set of Bendix TitaniuMetallic II pads as they went on sale shortly. Hopefully, they will play nicely with the old rotors.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:12 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you should be able to find them online, i always check amazon, iirc from last time i did mine the bendix fleet metlock lineup is their severe duty pad which is equivalent to the police package pads.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:10 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi all,

Jumping in on an older thread as it's too darn cold to be outside wrenching on my Durango at this time...supposed to be out of the 40's tomorrow...Any ways, I was thinking about putting fresh brake pads and rotors on Red while I'm in there rebuilding the front end (hubs, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends and new shocks). since they appear to be a bit under 1/2 life or so. Looking at this thread got me scratching my head over the brake "hardware" that is included with some of these pads, example:

Brake pads from RockAuto as used by Imusorka in the above thread

Also, Shrpshtr325 listed these from Amazon:

From link that Shrpshtr325 posted in above thread

Am I missing something as to the shape of the Amazon pads? Also is there special hardware to look out for when ordering???

Thanks in advance

Steve

Old 10-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by sporta
Hi all,

Jumping in on an older thread as it's too darn cold to be outside wrenching on my Durango at this time...supposed to be out of the 40's tomorrow...Any ways, I was thinking about putting fresh brake pads and rotors on Red while I'm in there rebuilding the front end (hubs, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends and new shocks). since they appear to be a bit under 1/2 life or so. Looking at this thread got me scratching my head over the brake "hardware" that is included with some of these pads, example:

Brake pads from RockAuto as used by Imusorka in the above thread

Also, Shrpshtr325 listed these from Amazon:

From link that Shrpshtr325 posted in above thread

Am I missing something as to the shape of the Amazon pads? Also is there special hardware to look out for when ordering???

Thanks in advance

Steve
What year? The ones on amazon look like the older pads (or at least very similar) the same pads my 98 uses. 03's had different brakes so if you have an 03 they'll look different. I don't know what they look like though.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:09 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
What year? The ones on amazon look like the older pads (or at least very similar) the same pads my 98 uses. 03's had different brakes so if you have an 03 they'll look different. I don't know what they look like though.
Sorry forgot to post it clearly. It's a 2000 SLT with full time 4wd

Old 10-01-2019, 10:10 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
Sorry forgot to post it clearly. It's a 2000 SLT with full time 4wd. The Amazon ad shows it fits a 2000 but the shape of the ones on my Durango look like the RockAuto ad.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by sporta
Sorry forgot to post it clearly. It's a 2000 SLT with full time 4wd. The Amazon ad shows it fits a 2000 but the shape of the ones on my Durango look like the RockAuto ad.
Odd... mine look like the Amazon ad. Someone else may chime in here, but I thought the only year that had the newer brakes and spindles were 03 Durangos. I'm not 100% sure on that though. Any chance someone could have done the swap before you got the Durango? I know a lot of people want to swap them, the old brakes weren't exactly sought after

Old 10-01-2019, 10:45 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

01-02 had different brakes than 98-00. I think some later 00s had the changeover to 01 parts (not just brakes), so might be best to go by vin or check what's on your truck.